Worship in the Early Church

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Handmaiden50
Jr Member
Jurisdiction: GOAA

Worship in the Early Church

Post by Handmaiden50 »

I am not well read in a lot of areas of Church History (working on that) and was wondering how those in the Church worshiped from the time of the apostles until the development of the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom?

"Oh Christ my Savior, save me whether I want it or not! Come quickly, hurry, for I perish!"

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Worship in the Early Church

Post by Barbara »

It's a very thoughtful question you asked, Handmaiden !

I have a copy of "The Early Church" sitting waiting to be read. This is Part 1 of a 3-part series on the History of the Church
by Henry Chadwick. While a noted authority, I was wondering to myself whether or not he might have been a Mason or something because nothing can make me pick this book up ! Perhaps it's also because I found it at a library book sale in fairly bad condition. Anyone have any comments about Henry Chadwick ? He must have been an Anglican because he is listed as a former "head of Christ Church", which means Oxford, which means almost certainly Anglican.
Update : yes, he was Dean of Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford which made him "head of Christ Church". N.B. : This is NOT to be confused with when we say "Christ's Church". We mean OUR Church.

Chadwick, a clergyman as well as scholar, was rated as a likely archbishop of canterbury in 1974, but was not selected.

Maybe I will look for a better source on worship in the Early Orthodox Church - !

Can any of our members direct Handmaiden and me to such a volume ?

Agios_Irineos

Post by Agios_Irineos »

Handmaiden50 wrote:

I am not well read in a lot of areas of Church History (working on that) and was wondering how those in the Church worshiped from the time of the apostles until the development of the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom?

Handmaiden -

You may want to take a look at this informational presentation. Exploring the Early Church - Lesson 1

Recall also, that local bishops often had their own liturgies before the Liturgies of St. John and St. Basil became widespread. There are early descriptions of worship in the Didache and the Apology of Justin Martyr.

Handmaiden50
Jr Member
Jurisdiction: GOAA

Post by Handmaiden50 »

Seekermark66,

Took a brief look at the link you suggested on the early Church and it is very informative! Will go through it in its entirety soon.

As an inquirer from Protestantism, I really never thought of the early Church as worshiping in a liturgical form, but that they perhaps met in people's homes to hear the letters of Paul read to them (ex: the church at Corinth) and to break bread together (similar to a Protestant's view of communion). I see I have a lot to learn!

"Oh Christ my Savior, save me whether I want it or not! Come quickly, hurry, for I perish!"

Agios_Irineos

Post by Agios_Irineos »

Handmaiden50 wrote:

Seekermark66,

Took a brief look at the link you suggested on the early Church and it is very informative! Will go through it in its entirety soon.

As an inquirer from Protestantism, I really never thought of the early Church as worshiping in a liturgical form, but that they perhaps met in people's homes to hear the letters of Paul read to them (ex: the church at Corinth) and to break bread together (similar to a Protestant's view of communion). I see I have a lot to learn!

Search for some information on the "house church" of Dura Europos, a pre-Constantinian house church. You will see how terribly off base the protestant conception of early house church worship is!

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

I recommend Eusebius - The History of the Church. I have the one translated by G.A. Williamson. Eusebius was born in 260 A.D. so his understanding of previous events of the growing Church are very significant. He became a bishop of Caesarea around 313. His explanations span from the time of the Apostles to his time. He includes all the significant events that happened during that period. It's very well worth reading and I believe very educational because it's an actual insight into how the early Christians lived. It's a must read.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)