Proper instruction in the faith and Chrismation vows

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Handmaiden50
Jr Member
Jurisdiction: GOAA

Proper instruction in the faith and Chrismation vows

Post by Handmaiden50 »

I'm sure that each jurisdiction has similar vows for those entering the Church. What would qualify as "proper instruction" in order for a candidate to be able to state the vows below? There doesn't seem to be much formal instruction for catechumens in the parish I am attending.

Part of the vows are accepting the Ecumenical Synods' dogmas and decrees, the canons, etc. Usually, on what level does one need to understand these before being chrismated? Does anyone have any suggestions as to reading material? When the time comes (Lord willing), I want to be able to take these vows with confidence.

The Reception Of The Heterodox Through Chrismation (GOARCH) - Excerpt

The Priest:
Do you renounce previously held erroneous beliefs and all heretical dogmas and teachings, both
ancient and modern?

The Candidate:
Yes, Father, I renounce all false doctrines and erroneous teachings. Today, by the grace of God
and of my own free will, having received proper instruction, I wish to be accepted into the
Orthodox Church by the seal of the Gift of the Holy Spirit.

The Priest:
Do you accept the dogmas, teachings, liturgy, canons, discipline, and moral principles of the
Orthodox Church?

The Candidate:
Yes, Father, I do. I worship the Triune God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and I confess, agree
with, and accept the Ecumenical Synods and their dogmas and decrees, the holy canons, and all
the teachings and traditions of the Orthodox Church.

"Oh Christ my Savior, save me whether I want it or not! Come quickly, hurry, for I perish!"

Agios_Irineos

Re: Proper instruction in the faith and Chrismation vows

Post by Agios_Irineos »

Handmaiden50 wrote:

I'm sure that each jurisdiction has similar vows for those entering the Church. What would qualify as "proper instruction" in order for a candidate to be able to state the vows below? There doesn't seem to be much formal instruction for catechumens in the parish I am attending.

Part of the vows are accepting the Ecumenical Synods' dogmas and decrees, the canons, etc. Usually, on what level does one need to understand these before being chrismated? Does anyone have any suggestions as to reading material? When the time comes (Lord willing), I want to be able to take these vows with confidence.

The Reception Of The Heterodox Through Chrismation (GOARCH) - Excerpt

The Priest:
Do you renounce previously held erroneous beliefs and all heretical dogmas and teachings, both
ancient and modern?

The Candidate:
Yes, Father, I renounce all false doctrines and erroneous teachings. Today, by the grace of God
and of my own free will, having received proper instruction, I wish to be accepted into the
Orthodox Church by the seal of the Gift of the Holy Spirit.

The Priest:
Do you accept the dogmas, teachings, liturgy, canons, discipline, and moral principles of the
Orthodox Church?

The Candidate:
Yes, Father, I do. I worship the Triune God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and I confess, agree
with, and accept the Ecumenical Synods and their dogmas and decrees, the holy canons, and all
the teachings and traditions of the Orthodox Church.

Proper instruction will be determined by your priest. It may be formal or informal.

The best instruction is always active attendance and participation in all the services of the Church. It is in the services that the full theology of the Church is expressed.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Congratulations, Seekermark, on your elevation to the Subdiaconate ! Wonderful that you have a Mission and Reader's Services now. Wishing all success.

Agios_Irineos

Post by Agios_Irineos »

Barbara wrote:

Congratulations, Seekermark, on your elevation to the Subdiaconate ! Wonderful that you have a Mission and Reader's Services now. Wishing all success.

Thank you Barbara! Please pray for us.

Handmaiden50
Jr Member
Jurisdiction: GOAA

Post by Handmaiden50 »

Seekermark, Thank you for responding. I attend liturgy as often as I can as well as Bible study.

"Oh Christ my Savior, save me whether I want it or not! Come quickly, hurry, for I perish!"

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Good, Handmaiden !

Yes, SeekerMark, I will. Please let us know any updates about the Mission's activities and expansion.
Hopefully, you will be soon advising new catechumens on the same question which Handmaiden posed here !

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Handmaiden,

I'm sorry for the late reply. But, the most essential vow that would need to be proclaimed by the catechumen (candidate) is the Nicene Creed. If you believe every word of this Creed, then you are ready. Everything else is just a confirmation of the Creed. I hope you are still considering Orthodoxy.

God bless.
Joanna

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)