Religious Persecution of Christians by Government Laws

This forum is for polite discussion of political and social topics that may be uncomfortable for inquirers and some members. This includes anything politically charged, conspiracy theories, and/or end-times theories. All Forum Rules apply.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Religious Persecution of Christians by Government Laws

Post by Maria »

We have been reading about the political persecution of the True Orthodox in Russia, where church buildings, icons, and relics have been confiscated and priests have been beaten by thugs supposedly working for the Russian government. Have police and governmental officials been openly persecuting the True Orthodox?

Here in North America, recently the federal government largely through the IRS has been secretly persecuting the various Christian churches. For example, in the past 10 to 15 years, outspoken Protestant pastors who dared to preach against politicians who embrace homosexuality have been having their tax exempt status taken away so that their congregations might be forced to sell their church because of the hefty property taxes. In Orthodoxy, most churches do not preach openly against homosexuality or abortion. However, some of the World Orthodox and the True Orthodox are paying property taxes so that they can continue to operate and preach openly. Others have been struggling to keep their buildings or they have been forced to downsize their church by buying a smaller one as Americans are earning less and paying more taxes. Those Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches who have a tax exemption might face persecution by the IRS.

Many of our smaller True Orthodox Churches are serving liturgies in homes to save money, but these home churches could be code violations. Here in Los Angeles, we are forbidden to have church services in homes by zoning regulations. In fact, neighbors have complained about Protestant home churches or home Bible studies by saying that there is not enough parking on the street to accommodate regular meetings in homes.

With Obamacare, the federal government wants the Roman Catholic Church to provide abortion and contraceptive services for their employees and also to provide these services in their Catholic hospitals. Contraceptives often cause abortions and birth defects, yet Christians must pay for contraceptives services in their insurance plans. However, Muslims and Christian Scientists can opt out of Obamacare. This is discrimination. These oppressive and discriminative rules are now being challenged in the courts by Catholic groups.

Also, the US Government is attempting to force our military chaplains (including the Orthodox) to perform same-sex marriages. Soon, there could be few military chaplains left in the USA or in Canada, where there is a similar law.

All these events have been on the news, so it is old news now, but I will provide links to these stories as I find them.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Re: Religious Persecution of Christians by Government Laws

Post by jgress »

A link providing more detail about the difference between treatment of Muslims and Catholics under Obamacare would be welcome.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

jgress wrote:

A link providing more detail about the difference between treatment of Muslims and Catholics under Obamacare would be welcome.

I heard about the fake email concerning Muslims and Obamacare in 2010. http://www.snopes.com/politics/medical/exemptions.asp

However, in an article dated October 14, 2011, this matter is addressed.
Please see the entire article as I have only posted excerpts. http://www.frontpagemag.com/2011/eric-b ... obamacare/

• ... the PPACA does grant a number of exemptions from the requirement to purchase the “minimum essential coverage.” ... Under Subtitle F, Part I, Section 1501 ... individuals must be “a member of a recognized religious sect” that doesn’t participate in Social Security. ... The religious exemption applies to any person who is a member of a “recognized religious sect or division” with “established tenets or teachings” that would forbid that person from accepting public or private insurance. Thus the Amish, who believe in taking care of their own elderly and don’t participate in Social Security, are exempt, as are Mennonites and Scientologists.
    Where do American Muslims stand regarding the individual mandate’s religious exemption? Under a strict interpretation of the Koran, which forbids acceptance of public or private insurance, they are exempt under this loophole. However, since the great majority of American Muslims pay Social Security taxes and receive Social Security benefits, they don’t qualify for the religious exemption. Nevertheless, ... If an individual is a member of a “health-sharing ministry,”—a religious non-profit organization in which members contribute money to cover the medical expenses of those in need—they are exempt from the requirement to purchase insurance.

There are some Catholics who have formed health-sharing ministries. In the past, I was considering joining such a group. However, investing money into a health-sharing ministry can be risky especially with all the fraud and embezzlement that goes on. Even churches need to be careful. For example, quite a few years ago, one of the HOCNA parishes lost thousands of dollars, money saved to install icons in their church, when their treasurer embezzled these funds and then quickly left the country.

jgress

Post by jgress »

This is about individuals' health insurance, not employer-provided insurance, which is what I thought you were talking about with respect to Roman Catholic institutions and their obligations to provide coverage for contraception and abortion. Were you saying that Muslim-run institutions are exempt from this obligation and Catholic ones are not?

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

jgress wrote:

This is about individuals' health insurance, not employer-provided insurance, which is what I thought you were talking about with respect to Roman Catholic institutions and their obligations to provide coverage for contraception and abortion. Were you saying that Muslim-run institutions are exempt from this obligation and Catholic ones are not?

I was also talking about employer-provided insurance. Some Roman Catholic institutions as employers have apparently received exemptions, while others have not. The court battles continue with Priests For Life not knowing if they will be exempted or not.

Have any Orthodox Christian schools been impacted? The GOC has several schools, don't they? What have their employees done?

Muslim-run institutions apparently do not provide insurance coverage as it is against their rules.

jgress

Post by jgress »

Can you provide a source for the claim about Muslim-run institutions? From what you say about the Catholic institutions, it doesn't seem like it's directed at all Catholic employers.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

jgress wrote:

Can you provide a source for the claim about Muslim-run institutions? From what you say about the Catholic institutions, it doesn't seem like it's directed at all Catholic employers.

I cannot find any more sources regarding Muslims in the USA apart from the one I already cited. The rest of the links provided by a search lead to untrustworthy sites. Apparently, the Obamacare package was not carefully thought out, so there exists much ambiguity that will have to be decided case by case through the courts. This will keep attorneys fed and housed! With Muslims being forced to have a Social Security Number with rulings that SS is insurance, it does not bode well for them. However, they might be able to participate in private health ministries, and they most likely will, if they can.

Only a few Catholic employers officially associated with a Roman Catholic Church diocese might be able to take advantage of an exemption, but nothing seems certain. Organizations like Catholic hospitals, Catholic schools and universities, and fraternities like the Holy Names Society might not get any exemptions. Even the exemptions granted might be reversed. Has the Supreme Court made any pertinent rulings yet?