On vitamins ... the China connection

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
NadirGP
Faith: catholic
Jurisdiction: none

On vitamins ... the China connection

Post by NadirGP »

I am posting this article on vitamins (see below) for the simple reason I am taking vitamins since my Bell's palsy [temporary facial paralysis] in 2009. I would like your opinion on this.
Thank you.

5 Facts You Need to Know If Your Vitamins Are From China

If you are taking vitamins, there is a good chance that they were imported from China

An aging population and growing focus on health in the United States has fueled the growth of a $28 billion vitamin and nutritional supplement market, and it is expected to continue to grow at about 3 percent a year.

Over half of American adults are popping vitamins and supplements. They may not be aware they are eating products made in China, or made using raw materials from China.

China has captured over 90 percent of the Vitamin C market in the United States, according to the Seattle Times. Think about how many labels advertise added Vitamin C. Vitamin C goes into many food and drink products—almost all processed food for humans as well as pets contains Vitamin C.

The consumer has no way of knowing the added vitamin C comes from China, because there is no rule requiring labeling the country of origin for ingredients.

This may raise quite a few eyebrows as Chinese food safety scandals make headlines every day.

Here are five facts any consumer of vitamins should know.

1. Only 2 percent of all imported vitamins and other supplements are inspected. Why? Vitamins and supplements are classified as “food” by law and therefore not subject to the tough regulatory scrutiny of prescription drugs.

2. China’s top vitamin and supplement production areas are among the most polluted in the country (and thus in the world).

Vitamins and nutritional supplements usually use agricultural products as key raw materials. The top vitamin exporting province, Zhejiang, has an alarming level of soil pollution from heavy metal. As matter of fact, one-sixth of China’s farmlands are heavily polluted.

For example, rice planted in several key agricultural provinces was reported to contain excessive Cadmium, a metal commonly found in batteries, coloring, and the industrial waste from making plastic. It may cause serious kidney disease.

Irrigation water is a nightmare: Half of the country’s major water bodies are polluted, as are 86 percent of city water bodies. Pollution is largely caused by the country’s numerous factories, which rarely have equipment for treating pollution. Seventy to 80 percent of the country’s industrial waste is directly emitted into rivers.

1. Even those labeled as “organic” are not safe, since USDA organic standards place no limit on levels of heavy metal contamination for certified organic foods.

2. Approximately 6,300 Americans nationwide complained about adverse reactions to dietary supplements between 2008 and 2012, according to FDA statistics. But the actual number may be more than eight times higher, some experts say, because most people don’t believe health products can make them sick. While not all such problems would be caused by pollution in China, that pollution may have played a role.

3. Worst of all, China-made vitamins are everywhere, and even those who do not consume vitamins and supplements can hardly escape. Many vitamins end up as ingredients in items like soft drinks, food, animal feed, and even cosmetics.

Source: http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/361599- ... rom-china/

So Jesus was saying to those Ιουδαιους [Judeans] who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32

NadirGP

Re: On vitamins ...

Post by NadirGP »

[Continuation]

The question is:

How do anyone will ever know where any product in the market is from China or from some another country?

Barcode

It is disturbing, to say the least. Some time ago, I had a list printed of barcodes of all the countries of the world, which told the provenience of their products - see here:

“Country Home Claim: The first three digits of a bar code indicate a product's country of origin.”
If the origin of what you buy is important to you, may I suggest that you write down on a card (the size of your credit card) and keep in your wallet, the following information.
Since no one is willing to share this information , I'm grateful for the person who dug it up, and passed it along. If we don't write it down and keep it, the information will simply blow through our brains, doing NO good.
Up to YOU:
The whole world is concerned about China made 'black hearted goods'. Can you differentiate which one is made in Canada, Philippines, Taiwan or China?
The first 3 digits of the barcode is the country code wherein the product was made.
Sample: All barcodes that start at 690 - 695 are all MADE IN CHINA. 471 is Made in Taiwan
Government and related departments won't educate the public. Therefore, we have to educate ourselves.
Nowadays, Chinese businessmen know that consumers do not prefer products 'Made in China', so they don't show from which country it is made.
However, you may now refer to the barcode, remember if the first 3 digits are: 690-695 then it is Made in China.

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/business ... O6LbkwR.99 or http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/barcodes.asp; and

How to Tell Where a Product is Made, by the Barcode - Buy USA First

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2268090/post; or here: http://www.databar-barcode.info/applica ... entifiers/; also:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/barcodes.asp

At the end of the day, though it seems that even a barcode does not tell you the real origin of any product on the global market – who made this or that… And you are not any wiser, either.

Martin Luther’s saying was: “By faith only you are saved – I say instead: “Everything you buy today has to be taken by faith only.”

So Jesus was saying to those Ιουδαιους [Judeans] who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."

NadirGP

Re: On vitamins ... China

Post by NadirGP »

Addition on the title, Vitamins,
Nadir

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: On vitamins ... the China connection

Post by Maria »

I changed the title for you.

Interesting discussion, Nadir.

My husband likes the Peppermint Spry that comes from raw materials made in China and the USA.
It is packaged in the USA and is supposedly "GMO-free", "Gluten-free", and "Sweetened only with xylitol". 7-00596-00007-0

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

NadirGP

Post by NadirGP »

Maria wrote:

I changed the title for you.

Interesting discussion, Nadir.

My husband likes the Peppermint Spry that comes from raw materials made in China and the USA.
It is packaged in the USA and is supposedly "GMO-free", "Gluten-free", and "Sweetened only with xylitol". 7-00596-00007-0

Maria,

Thanks a lot, for I realized that something might have happened, after I added the word, China, in the title, but no change in sight...

arcmode
Faith: Nazarene
Jurisdiction: ROCA

Post by arcmode »

Nadir, have a look at this:

http://www.naturalnews.com/039195_organ ... tmare.html

When it comes to foods, superfoods and even nutritional supplements from China, "organic" is largely a hoax. This is my opinion, of course, but I've been researching the issue quite extensively as the key decision maker for new products in the Natural News Store. And I've come to the conclusion that "organic" from China is largely a fraud. Here's why...

First off, you're going to be shocked to learn that there is no limit to how much mercury, lead, cadmium, arsenic and aluminum is allowed in "organic" products.

It's a fact: USDA organic standards place NO LIMITS on levels of heavy metals contamination of certified organic foods. Even further, there is no limit on the contamination of PCBs, BPA and other synthetic chemicals that's allowed in certified organic foods, superfoods and supplements.

At this point, you're probably shaking your head in disbelief and thinking, "No, that can't be true. Organic standards must check for heavy metals and chemical contamination, right?"

No! "Organic" certifies a process of how food is grown or produced. It certifies that the farmer doesn't add pesticides, herbicides, petroleum-based fertilizer, metals or synthetic chemicals to the crop (among other things), and it certifies that the soil must be free from such things for a certain number of years before organic certification is approved.

But organic certification does nothing to address environmental sources of pollution such as chemtrails, contaminated irrigation water, and fallout from industrial or chemical factories that might be nearby. A certified organic farmer can use polluted water on their crops and still have the crops labeled "organic."

For this reason: the environment in which organic foods are produced is critical to the cleanliness of the final product.

Organic farming in a clean environment produces clean, organic foods. But organic farming in a polluted environment produces contaminated organic foods. And China is one of the most polluted chemical cesspools on the planet. The pictures on the right show some scenes from China, a country suffocating under a pollution nightmare.

This is a very good site overall for health information, if you read with discernment.

Do not be shocked by those who teach new doctrines but seem to be worthy of credence. Stand solidly like an anvil under blows. A good athlete suffers blows but wins. St Ignatius.

NadirGP

Post by NadirGP »

Arcomode,

Thanks for the controversial link and for your comment.

God Bless,
Nadir