Pilgrimages to St. John of San Francisco

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
JamesR
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (but considering Traditional Orthodoxy!)

Re: Pilgrimages to St. John of San Francisco

Post by JamesR »

You bought the Akathist? I feel bad for you. The Priest gave it to me for free. I think he felt bad for me because he kicked me out of the Eucharist line.

"'Blessed are the peacemakers' For those are peacemakers in themselves who, in conquering and subjecting to reason all the motions of their souls and having their carnal desires tamed, have become in themselves a Kingdom of God."-St. Augustine of Hippo (Confessions)

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

JamesR wrote:

You bought the Akathist? I feel bad for you. The Priest gave it to me for free. I think he felt bad for me because he kicked me out of the Eucharist line.

No need to feel bad. I bought it in the bookstore. But, my situation was not the same as yours. If you couldn't go for the Eucharist there had to be a reason. The Holy Eucharist is Sacred. Why would the priest kick you out? Did you prepare and go to Holy Confession? Can you elaborate?

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Joasia you deserve a laughing scolding for parking in those spaces without meters ! They are never for anyone but the clerics and choir director
and are supposed to be kept empty for them. You were fortunate that you had no trouble. God was helping you.
Parking at a real meter can be difficult there.

ADVICE to any pilgrims to St John of San Francisco :

Go UP Geary a couple blocks to about 29th or especially 30th Avenue, turn left, park on the hill. It is awkward, but there
are usually spaces there by a park or a school, seems to me. Remember to use your Parking Brake, as the incline is quite steep !
As of a few years ago, there were no meters there.
Alternatively, you can go farther up Geary, too.

This would have been so difficult for Joasia's friend, however.

Otherwise, if you head more toward the Inner Richmond District [the smaller number Avenues] parking becomes tougher and tougher
as there are so many banks, businesses, stores, restaurants.

Also don't forget that in San Francisco, there is a BIG difference between Avenues and
Streets. Never mix those up, or one will end up in unsavory parts of town - far from the Rocor Cathedral.
Maybe near the MP one instead !

Joasia, I think you mean "Starosta" - not Staritsa.

JamesR
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (but considering Traditional Orthodoxy!)

Post by JamesR »

joasia wrote:
JamesR wrote:

No need to feel bad. I bought it in the bookstore. But, my situation was not the same as yours. If you couldn't go for the Eucharist there had to be a reason. The Holy Eucharist is Sacred. Why would the priest kick you out? Did you prepare and go to Holy Confession? Can you elaborate?

Prepare? Yes. I went to Confession at my parish the night before. He kicked me out of line because I missed the Gospel reading, which, I felt a bit bummed about because it wasn't my fault; I was late because my father got stuck in traffic.

"'Blessed are the peacemakers' For those are peacemakers in themselves who, in conquering and subjecting to reason all the motions of their souls and having their carnal desires tamed, have become in themselves a Kingdom of God."-St. Augustine of Hippo (Confessions)

joasia
Protoposter

Post by joasia »

Barbara wrote:

Joasia you deserve a laughing scolding for parking in those spaces without meters ! They are never for anyone but the clerics and choir director and are supposed to be kept empty for them. You were fortunate that you had no trouble. God was helping you.
Parking at a real meter can be difficult there.

ADVICE to any pilgrims to St John of San Francisco :

Go UP Geary a couple blocks to about 29th or especially 30th Avenue, turn left, park on the hill. It is awkward, but there
are usually spaces there by a park or a school, seems to me. Remember to use your Parking Brake, as the incline is quite steep !
As of a few years ago, there were no meters there.
Alternatively, you can go farther up Geary, too.

This would have been so difficult for Joasia's friend, however.

Otherwise, if you head more toward the Inner Richmond District [the smaller number Avenues] parking becomes tougher and tougher
as there are so many banks, businesses, stores, restaurants.

Also don't forget that in San Francisco, there is a BIG difference between Avenues and
Streets. Never mix those up, or one will end up in unsavory parts of town - far from the Rocor Cathedral.
Maybe near the MP one instead !

Joasia, I think you mean "Starosta" - not Staritsa.

Barbara, but all the spots were taken except the one and the service was over. The Church was closed. But, I do recall hearing women's voices downstairs where the stairs are next to the ramp, as we were coming out of the side door. Is that the kitchen? I saw a young lady come up from there. Maybe these women took those other parking spots.

Thanks for the directions, God-willing, if I go again, I will be more careful.

And yes, it is Starotsa. I'm saying it in the Polish context. Stari means old, in Polish (as well in Russian - старый), so it comes out Stari, for me. But, the Russians say Staro. Why is that? I've never bothered to ask someone.

joasia
Protoposter

Post by joasia »

JamesR wrote:
joasia wrote:
JamesR wrote:

Prepare? Yes. I went to Confession at my parish the night before. He kicked me out of line because I missed the Gospel reading, which, I felt a bit bummed about because it wasn't my fault; I was late because my father got stuck in traffic.

It's pretty impressive that he would even know what time you showed up. Priests are pretty busy at that time. But, that's an odd reason to reject someone from going for Holy Communion when they confessed them the night before. The priest obviously knows that the person is coming for Holy Communion. And the devil always tries to keep us away from Christ's Holy Body and Blood so if a person shows up even 5 minutes before the Holy Eucharist comes out, it is a triumph for that person to receive it despite what the devil may have tried in preventing it. This seems very odd to me.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I thought that sounded unusual, too.

Maybe this was one of those visiting priests ? Sometimes when a new one is ordained, they
move around serving at different parishes for their 40 days. It might be more in character for one
of those to hand out a free Akathist, as they are full of the joy of their new priestly office.