Modest versus Immodest clothing. What to wear to Church?

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Panteri_VRS

Re: Modest versus Immodest clothing. What to wear to Church?

Post by Panteri_VRS »

It has always seemed normal to me to come to church wearing good clothes... I mean, when you're visiting friends, you dress well, so why wouldn't you dress well when coming to God's house?

I don't care what you wear in your everyday life, be it suits, denim, or torn up T-shirts, as long as you dress respectably in church. The only case in which I'd tolerate it is in countryside churches in Russia, Serbia, Romania or other Eastern European countries, as people there may be quite poor and don't always have enough money to buy clothes that they don't need to go to do their jobs, which are quite often in workshops, factories or fields and thus don't look too good.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I did mean to search for more pictures of eligible ties, but so far came up with only one to give an idea of what would look presentable in Church or in daily life. Note the color combination and conservative look to the tie.

Most images of ties on the internet are in awful taste: it was not easy to find this one. I think that discouraged me from searching further.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Here is a good example of the general style to which I referred above. Something along these lines. Unfortunately, the original site itself does not appear to be active. So if one wishes, one can visit this Pinterest link and look at the top of the page with the description about Harvard/Yale colors.
Seems to be the only example pictured on the internet anything like this :

Note : attractive, conservative ties should never have any kind of designs - not even the Harvard crest or the Harvard Business School crest pictured in some tie selections !

Only stripes, and these not too wide [ looks loud ] nor too thin if the main motif.

Bow ties are ALWAYS OUT

Brooks Brothers does not allow one to copy the ties on their site, but that is perhaps the best selection I have found so far. Some colors there are dull [boring brown, tan, grey], but if one stays with shades of blue with perhaps small accents of black or maroon, a man will appear his best both at Church functions and in general life.

Worried about the ~ $ 80 cost per tie ? Either stop drinking coffee or some other detrimental habit - or save up - or check at Goodwill for used Brooks Brothers ties !