How to address and greet Roman Catholic Clergy?

Discuss Religious, Moral and Ethical topics that are offtopic to other forums and that are within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste, i.e., no pictures or videos of killings. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All rules apply. No promotion of Non-Orthodox-Christian beliefs. No baiting, flaming, or ad hominems. No polemics.
Barbara
Protoposter

Re: How to address and greet Roman Catholic Clergy?

Post by Barbara »

Apostate, that sounds just right.

As far as Pope Francis, I think it's polite to uniformly call him by this title, without using the word 'Papist' which is so 'dated.
Seems dated, as in "19th Century Angry Anglican'. { I got that idea from reading the link posted by Archimandrite Nilos about
the Grafton character and Patriarch Tikhon [Bellavin].

Besides, what if Catholics arrive at this Forum hoping for a refreshing change from Vatican II Plastic,
and catch sight that derogatory term ? They would be turned off in a second and NEVER consider ANY Orthodoxy, let alone True Orthodox churches.

Maybe I will be turned out in a second for venturing this idea ---!
I think it's quite wise to stay with the correct protocol.

I don't like seeing the secular/atheist media write ' pope ' without a capital letter, it's the SAME old
prejudices ; neither do I like seeing the word Mass spelled mass ; a not subtle attempt to demean the Roman Liturgy.
Or convey the idea that it is something only for the dumb, unsophisticated "masses" of believers.

StephenS
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Not attached presently

Re: How to address and greet Roman Catholic Clergy?

Post by StephenS »

Maria wrote:

How should members of True Orthodoxy address the Roman Catholic Bishop of Rome?

Some members here have been having difficulty calling him "Pope Francis."

Even worse, Your Holiness or Holy Father............