Question for Anastasios... SVOTS Seminary

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Gregory2

Post by Gregory2 »

Back east many of my priests were St Tikhon's alums, and I was impressed with every one of them! Plus, St Tikhon's is in a much more beautiful location than is St Vlad's (IMHO).

For what it's worth, I went to see Khouria Frederica M-G speak at a Greek parish in Seattle last year, and I wasn't too impressed with her public speaking style. I had read some of her books - parts of which I found interesting, but I didn't think she was a great speaker. I found her very abstract.

Natasha
Sr Member

Post by Natasha »

Peter wrote: " do you think I'll want to shoot myself by the end of the day after hearing Frederica Mathews-Greene speak, St. Vlad's theologians talk about what "tradition" really is, and Peter John Gilguist give a "youth concert", or will I have a chance of surviving?"

I would want to shoot myself, but that's just my two cents :lol:

Anastasios
Sr Member
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC-Archbishop Kallinikos

Post by Anastasios »

Paradosis wrote:

St Tikhon's is great, too, but is more known for being a pastoral school (even though they are trying to change this image).

I do not mean this as a lure or something akin to that to bring you into a debate (or set things up for some thwack with a hammer of judgment), I'm just very confused, what's wrong with being a "pastoral school?" Do you mean by that that they are lagging behind in the more academic theological stuff? :?

He said he was interested in studying more academic history type stuff and St Vladimir's has more of that, that's all.

anastasios

Disclaimer: Many older posts were made before my baptism and thus may not reflect an Orthodox point of view.
Please do not message me with questions about the forum or moderation requests. Jonathan Gress (jgress) will be able to assist you.
Please note that I do not subscribe to "Old Calendar Ecumenism" and believe that only the Synod of Archbishop Kallinikos is the canonical GOC of Greece. I do believe, however, that we can break down barriers and misunderstandings through prayer and discussion on forums such as this one.

bogoliubtsy
Sr Member

Post by bogoliubtsy »

stgregorythetheologian wrote:

Plus, St Tikhon's is in a much more beautiful location than is St Vlad's (IMHO).

I'll have to agree with you there. I spent two years at a college in Westchester County- not the most beautiful place in the world. Maybe St. Vlad's is set back a ways from all of the things I found unappealing about the county?

Mor Ephrem

Post by Mor Ephrem »

Where (and when) were you in Westchester, Peter? I go to school in Albany, as I'm sure you know. But I call White Plains home. I personally love the place.

bogoliubtsy
Sr Member

Post by bogoliubtsy »

Ah...White Plains :)

I was at Purchase College from 97-99 in good ol' Purchase, New York- current home of the most honorable Hilary Clinton.

I should mention that Nicholas (Sava24 on the forum) attended this school at the same time.

I think there should be more talk here about Portchester, "The Mall", "North", "South", WPUR, Owen, and liberal SUNY Purchase politics- don't you Nick? Hmm....

Savva24

Post by Savva24 »

Peter J. Hatala wrote:

I spent two years at a college in Westchester County- not the most beautiful place in the world.

Josh,

TRAITOR! You can not tell me that the elegance and architecture of downtown Porchester had not had a life altering effect on you. :lol: I think you are forgetting the Burritios. mmmmm.

Seriously, I think Westchester is a really great place in many ways, being so close to the city and yet retaining much nature.

Oh and all those names you brought up (, ''The Mall'' ''North'', Owen et all. What a freekshow our school was; Nazi-skinheads, Lesbian feminazis, trangendered professers....), I haven't heard many of them in almost three years. Not sure if that is a bad thing. But I do know me and you definatley have to catch up with Matt and Alana sometime.

In Christ,

Nicholas