Question for Anastasios... SVOTS Seminary

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

bogoliubtsy
Sr Member

Question for Anastasios... SVOTS Seminary

Post by bogoliubtsy »

Anastasios,

I am debating whether to attend the Khomiakov lectures at Holy Trinity Seminary or education day at St.Vladimir's Seminary on October 4th. Being someone who feels most comfortable in a ROCOR parish(but having spent the last few years in an OCA parish), is more "traditional" in his approach to Orthodoxy than most OCA members I've met, etc. ...in your honest assesment, do you think I'll want to shoot myself by the end of the day after hearing Frederica Mathews-Greene speak, St. Vlad's theologians talk about what "tradition" really is, and Peter John Gilguist give a "youth concert", or will I have a chance of surviving? As someone attending the seminary, I thought you might have some insight into the general vibe of the place which might (hopefully) counteract what otherwise looks like not such a great time.

Thanks!

Anastasios
Sr Member
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC-Archbishop Kallinikos

Post by Anastasios »

Dear Peter,

You will only appreciate Education Day if you go with an open mind--even if you end up not likeing it, I guarantee you will appreciate the massive effort that is going into promoting Orthodoxy. Last year was my first Ed Day but I did not get the chance to participate in any of the events because I was busy working in the bookstore.

I don't even know what the people who are giving talks are talking about so I really can't help you there. Frederica isn't my cup of tea but she's a dynamic speaker, and I think that St Vlad's theologians can hold their own when it comes to discussing tradition (after all, the patristics scholar Fr. John Behr has given talks at Jordanville so he can't be that bad, right?!) lol.

Peter John Gillquest is a pretty awesome guy--I live in the same building as him and can tell you he's a solid guy. Very down to earth and sincere. I don't know him well enough to tell you his theological views but I can tell you he is a solid Christian.

Despite my screwed up ecclesial status, I consider myself more "traditional" in praxis that most other folks at St V's but I generally like the classes and see no hints of "modernism" here theologically speaking. Perhaps Orthodox modernism is defined as different than Catholic modernism, but having experienced the later, I can tell you that if that is the criteria, that Orthodox modernism does not exist at St Vlad's. For instance, no professor at St Vlad's denies any of the ecumenical councils, the Trinity, the Incarnation, Physical Resurrection of Christ, that the Bible is God's Word, etc etc etc.

I think you should come and see. If you don't like it then at least you can say to people "I have been and this is what I did not like."

Make sure to witness the Hierarchical Liturgy--it was awesome last year, and I have no doubt it will be again this year.

The day ends with Vespers in the Chapel.

You will also get the chance to meet many, many wonderful Orthodox Christians.

If you decide to go, email me and let me know so I can look out for you.

As far as Jordanville goes, I myself wish to visit but remember, you can visit there anytime. They have many lectures each year.

anastasios

Disclaimer: Many older posts were made before my baptism and thus may not reflect an Orthodox point of view.
Please do not message me with questions about the forum or moderation requests. Jonathan Gress (jgress) will be able to assist you.
Please note that I do not subscribe to "Old Calendar Ecumenism" and believe that only the Synod of Archbishop Kallinikos is the canonical GOC of Greece. I do believe, however, that we can break down barriers and misunderstandings through prayer and discussion on forums such as this one.

bogoliubtsy
Sr Member

Post by bogoliubtsy »

Anastasios,

Thanks for the reply. I suppose my main purpose in coming really boils down to seeing if I'm interested in attending St.Vladimir's at some point in the future(probably next Fall as I've just taken a year long position at a boarding school way out in Western Mass). I'm mostly interested in studying Church history(focused on Russian Church history) and I'm really trying to figure out which program in the US is best for doing this. So far it looks as though St.Tikhon's might be a good choice...both for its Russian focus and the great atmosphere of the place-- but I suppose I should check out St. Vladimir's to be sure.

Anastasios
Sr Member
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC-Archbishop Kallinikos

Post by Anastasios »

St Vlads = the best, IMO. St Tikhon's is cool and all, but St Vlad's puts the emphasis on balancing academic work with a thorough liturgical life where the participants are responsible--unlike St Tikhon's where the monks run the services with student help, St Vlad's seminarians are there helping plan services, "staff" them, student priests serve, etc etc.

St Vlad's has a great intellectual tradition, it is close to many other institutions in NY, whereas St T's is in the mountains of PA.

St Tikhon's is great, too, but is more known for being a pastoral school (even though they are trying to change this image).

We can discuss personal aspects of my stay at St V's if you wish; just email me.

anastasios

Disclaimer: Many older posts were made before my baptism and thus may not reflect an Orthodox point of view.
Please do not message me with questions about the forum or moderation requests. Jonathan Gress (jgress) will be able to assist you.
Please note that I do not subscribe to "Old Calendar Ecumenism" and believe that only the Synod of Archbishop Kallinikos is the canonical GOC of Greece. I do believe, however, that we can break down barriers and misunderstandings through prayer and discussion on forums such as this one.

bogoliubtsy
Sr Member

Post by bogoliubtsy »

You've been emailed.

Let me say though- My desire to study theology is not a preparation for the priesthood! (Image that)

Ok, now my fellow board members can sleep a little easier tonight.
:wink:

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

(teddy bear in hand) zzzzzz..........zzzzzzzzzzz...........zzzzzzzzzzz

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

St Tikhon's is great, too, but is more known for being a pastoral school (even though they are trying to change this image).

I do not mean this as a lure or something akin to that to bring you into a debate (or set things up for some thwack with a hammer of judgment), I'm just very confused, what's wrong with being a "pastoral school?" Do you mean by that that they are lagging behind in the more academic theological stuff? :?