ISPs & APPS gather more info than Google & FB

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Barbara
Protoposter

Re: ISPs & APPS gather more info than Google & FB

Post by Barbara »

Applause for Cyprian's sleuthing, as usual : fabulous !

No I did NOT see the triple 6 in the Guggl Krohm [ to distract the guggl idiot robot presently looking at our thread ! ]
until you showed the black and white version. VERY CLEVER of you !!!

I absolutely hate that logo. The red on the top area bothers me so much I can't even look at it without wincing.
Every time people suggest "Switch to Krohm" when I have problems with my outdated browser, I glare - !

Same with the taco bell logo. Perhaps the name and the embedded sinful numbers are a conscious attack by the Devil on our Church bells....

Also, I have always despised that horrible drink for kids. Neither can I stand hearing people use that expression "drink the kul-aid". NOW I know why !!!
The pitcher shape for the head of the little demon is ugly, along with the rest of him. Notice how the brain area looks like it has some kind of sea algae growing out of it. Those little tentacles reaching up on the left are unnecessary to the theme of pouring the purported beverage. I wonder why those, which could look like the ginger rhizome, are included by the artist, an apparent collaborator with evil ?

I would NEVER have seen these unholy numbers of the devil if Cyprian had not pointed all them out. Great, we need to become wiser and selective about what we allow into our lives.

I also have always disliked vair eye zon. If it were the last carrier left on earth, I wouldn't choose it. I have to see the video to get a better glimpse of why it has repelled me.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Worries about safety on the internet are not just the domain of a few security-conscious people.

The Washington Post reported yesterday that such concerns have resulted in people reeling back their involvement in the internet :

"Nearly one in two Internet users say privacy and security concerns have now stopped them from doing basic things online — such as posting to social networks, expressing opinions in forums or even buying things from websites, according to a new government survey released Friday.

This chilling effect, pulled out of a survey of 41,000 U.S. households who use the Internet.... The research suggests some consumers are reaching a tipping point where they feel they can no longer trust using the Internet for everyday activities.

The new NTIA data suggests a significant number of Americans have embraced at least one strategy: Opting out of online activities.

That trend could have major consequences for banks, online retailers, and the broader Internet economy."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/g00//new ... ctivities/

If the government is attentive to the gigantic economic losses across wide sectors of society resulting from the withdrawal of Americans from active internet usage, it would cease all this monitoring of innocent forums like ours by those horrendous robots.
Who wants to be online posting together with a lineup of nasty-sounding robotic spies ??

People don't feel comfortable expressing their real opinions while watched like a hawk by the "Bye-doo spider", which I only recently learned is a large Chinese concern, and its equally creepy affiliates in this country.

Madison Grant
Jr Member

Post by Madison Grant »

Barbara wrote:

Wow ! I wrote down the article to look at back when this thread first appeared.
I didn't see the followup discussion, however. Very "isp"ortant information: thank you Madison, though I lost
you at the beginning of the instructions. But it looks SO helpful.

I have no idea how to implement this, but it is good to know about.

Hi Barbara, I've posted the above YouTube link because I've thought that it might be able to help you get up and running with a very popular and low cost VPN service provider. It's $40 bucks a year and you can use the service on five devices, for example, on your computer and your smart phones.

I've used at least a half dozen or more VPN service providers and in the reviews I come across PIA, short for Private Internet Access, is almost always the top pick.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

To reiterate, it's the federal government in partnership with your ISP and the big internet companies like Google, Microsoft, and Facebook that are collecting this information to study the behaviors of it's customers so that social engineers, either in the media or academia or the government, can better tune itself to socially condition the population. For example it's the social issues that everyone hears about: homosexual marriage was yesterday while today it's transgenders using womens' restrooms and tomorrow it will be pedophilia and then bestiality the following day. This is just one minor example out of many, but it's a pronounced one

Web browser of choice

Use FireFox. Type into the address bar the following command: about:config; then type in media.peerconnection.enabled; then double click on it so that it says false instead of true. Then close the tabbed window. This will prevent websites from knowing your ISP's DNS server which to websites this means a good idea of your physical location even after you use a VPN service.

FireFox addons

Go into these links and install them:
1 https://addons.mozilla.org/es/firefox/a ... re/?src=ss https everywhere

2 https://addons.mozilla.org/es/firefox/a ... es/?src=ss self destructing cookies

3 https://addons.mozilla.org/es/firefox/a ... te/?src=ss adblocker ultimate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_%28 ... program%29

PRISM is a clandestine[1] surveillance program under which the United States National Security Agency (NSA) collects internet communications from at least nine major US internet companies.[2][3][4] Since 2001 the United States government has increased its scope for such surveillance, and so this program was launched in 2007.

PRISM is a government code name for a data-collection effort known officially by the SIGAD US-984XN.[5][6] The PRISM program collects stored internet communications based on demands made to internet companies such as Google Inc. under Section 702 of the FISA Amendments Act of 2008 to turn over any data that match court-approved search terms.[7] The NSA can use these PRISM requests to target communications that were encrypted when they traveled across the internet backbone, to focus on stored data that telecommunication filtering systems discarded earlier,[8][9] and to get data that is easier to handle, among other things.[10]

PRISM began in 2007 in the wake of the passage of the Protect America Act under the Bush Administration.[11][12] The program is operated under the supervision of the U.S. Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISA Court, or FISC) pursuant to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA).[13] Its existence was leaked six years later by NSA contractor Edward Snowden, who warned that the extent of mass data collection was far greater than the public knew and included what he characterized as "dangerous" and "criminal" activities.[14] The disclosures were published by The Guardian and The Washington Post on June 6, 2013. Subsequent documents have demonstrated a financial arrangement between NSA's Special Source Operations division (SSO) and PRISM partners in the millions of dollars.[15]

Documents indicate that PRISM is "the number one source of raw intelligence used for NSA analytic reports", and it accounts for 91% of the NSA's internet traffic acquired under FISA section 702 authority."[16][17] The leaked information came to light one day after the revelation that the FISA Court had been ordering a subsidiary of telecommunications company Verizon Communications to turn over to the NSA logs tracking all of its customers' telephone calls.[18][19]

U.S. government officials have disputed some aspects of the Guardian and Washington Post stories and have defended the program by asserting it cannot be used on domestic targets without a warrant, that it has helped to prevent acts of terrorism, and that it receives independent oversight from the federal government's executive, judicial and legislative branches.[20][21] On June 19, 2013, U.S. President Barack Obama, during a visit to Germany, stated that the NSA's data gathering practices constitute "a circumscribed, narrow system directed at us being able to protect our people."[22]

Extent of the program

Internal NSA presentation slides included in the various media disclosures show that the NSA could unilaterally access data and perform "extensive, in-depth surveillance on live communications and stored information" with examples including email, video and voice chat, videos, photos, voice-over-IP chats (such as Skype), file transfers, and social networking details.[3] Snowden summarized that "in general, the reality is this: if an NSA, FBI, CIA, DIA, etc. analyst has access to query raw SIGINT [signals intelligence] databases, they can enter and get results for anything they want."[14]

According to The Washington Post, the intelligence analysts search PRISM data using terms intended to identify suspicious communications of targets whom the analysts suspect with at least 51 percent confidence to not be U.S. citizens, but in the process, communication data of some U.S. citizens are also collected unintentionally.[2] Training materials for analysts tell them that while they should periodically report such accidental collection of non-foreign U.S. data, "it's nothing to worry about."[2][41]

According to The Guardian, NSA had access to chats and emails on Hotmail.com, Skype, because Microsoft had "developed a surveillance capability to deal" with the interception of chats, and "for Prism collection against Microsoft email services will be unaffected because Prism collects this data prior to encryption."[42][43][44]

Also according to The Guardian's Glenn Greenwald even low-level NSA analysts are allowed to search and listen to the communications of Americans and other people without court approval and supervision. Greenwald said low level Analysts can, via systems like PRISM, "listen to whatever emails they want, whatever telephone calls, browsing histories, Microsoft Word documents.[31] And it's all done with no need to go to a court, with no need to even get supervisor approval on the part of the analyst."[45]

He added that the NSA databank, with its years of collected communications, allows analysts to search that database and listen "to the calls or read the emails of everything that the NSA has stored, or look at the browsing histories or Google search terms that you've entered, and it also alerts them to any further activity that people connected to that email address or that IP address do in the future."[45] Greenwald was referring in the context of the foregoing quotes to the NSA program X-Keyscore.[46]

Madison Grant
Jr Member

Post by Madison Grant »

A YouTube video from RussiaToday with about 150,000 views.

'Use VPN!' Former 'Most Wanted Hacker' Mitnick talks Snowden, NSA, privacy

The ongoing leaks from NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden cause more anger the more they emerge. People across the world are being shown just how much their private lives and private data are being monitored by intelligence services. RT joined by Kevin Mitnick, one of the world's most renowned computer hackers to discuss the issues.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Madison,

Thank you EVER so much for all this information !
I was waiting to reply, hoping to have a success story to relate. But it takes me a lot of time to mentally gear up to try to tackle this.
You can tell I have no skills with computers.

I am going to incorporate all this as soon as I feel brave enough ! Meanwhile, I hope this wonderful info has helped others reading here.