Concerning Kirikos, the Holy Trinity Icon, and his schismatic faction

This forum is for polite discussions among the various True Orthodox Christians. Only confirmed members of TOC jurisdictions are permitted. However, TOC inquirers and catechumen may be admitted at the administrator's discretion. Private discussions should take place in DM's or via email. Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Concerning Kirikos, the Holy Trinity Icon, and his schismatic faction

Post by Maria »

From the letters of Hieromonk Seraphim Rose ...

"Dear Father Neketas...

Fr. Lev accuses “the heretical teaching that the Ancient of Days (Dn. ch. 7) was God the Father” (p. 23). Father, in the past you have already printed enough of such categorical statements that find “heresy” in every corner; it is really time for them to stop. Prophetic images such as the “Ancient of Days” are of such a character that often a hard-and-fast identification is not even possible or necessary, let alone being made into a “dogma” so that misidentification of it is a “heresy.” It happens that some Fathers have indeed identified the Ancient of Days as God the Father, while others identify this image as God the Son. Specifically, St. John Chrysostom in his commentary on Daniel (ch. 7), noting that it is One “like the Son of Man” Who comes to the Ancient of Days, states that Daniel was thus “the first and only one to see the Father and the Son.”Is he then a heretic? The use of such language in this case is just name-calling and vain boasting over ones supposed “correct interpretation” of Scripture."

Was this the same Father Lev, aka Lazar Puhalo, the Holy Transfiguration Monastery (Boston) deacon, who also openly accused Hieromonk Seraphim and others who believed in toll houses as being heretics? Then when Lev would not cease calling people heretics, he was defrocked by ROCOR only to flee to other True Orthodox churches in Greece where Lev was eventually ordained priest and then consecrated a bishop? Finally, Lev was accepted into a world orthodox synod, the OCA, who forcibly retired him as a hierarch. Is this the same wretched man who not so long ago spoke openly for the homosexual lifestyle on Facebook? Wow!

Beware those arm chair theologians who like to label others as heretics.

https://oca.org/holy-synod/retired

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Good point to be alert for these unpleasant people lurking around.
How long was this character in the OCA ? Did the OCA find out WHO he was only after accepting him ? Upon learning that, then dumped him ?
What kind of gap of time would that have been ?

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

Good point to be alert for these unpleasant people lurking around.
How long was this character in the OCA ? Did the OCA find out WHO he was only after accepting him ? Upon learning that, then dumped him ?
What kind of gap of time would that have been ?

Keeping on topic, Lev has schismed so many times. After trying out many different True Orthodox Churches, he finally left True Orthodoxy for world orthodoxy all the while continuing to label people as heretics.

This is the problem with schismatics.

The OCA has kept Lev but has forcibly retired him so that he does not serve as an active bishop, so they say. Yet Lev still holds onto his heterodox beliefs, and he still serves as abbot of his monastery. In other words, in spite of his heterodoxy, Lev was not defrocked, but was allowed to retire at his expensive monastery in Canada and still have contact with laity and clergy who will be misled by him into losing their salvation.

The bottom line, Lev brought very expensive real estate with him into the OCA. How could the OCA refuse such a lucrative deal? The OCA not only said that Lev's schismatic consecration was valid, but also they accepted him as one of their own bishops, and then promptly retired him.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Oh my gosh ! That is really something.

May I ask what is the source of his monastery's high real estate price tag ? Did he create a beautiful complex ? Or is it just the 'location, location, location' - ?

Thanks for explaining this. Unbelievable !

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

https://orthodoxwiki.org/Lazar(Puhalo)of_Ottawa

If you wish to discuss Lev in more detail, please go to the thread at http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/vi ... ?f=12&t=17

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Cyprian wrote:
jdigrande wrote:

As far as who is portrayed on the Trinity ikon: God the Father or the Ancient of Days and when exactly when it entered into Orthodoxy, it is still being debated.

Seeing how there are images existing of the Father both in the East and the West long prior to the schism, it only seems to be a matter of debate due to ignorance of theology and the history of iconography.

When you say "God the Father or the Ancient of Days," you seem to be implying that the Father is not the Ancient of Days. The teaching of the Church is that the appellation "Ancient of Days" applies to the Godhead―the Divinity, and is therefore in no way exclusive to the Son. (cf. St. Dionysius the Areopagite: On Divine Names)

Both the Father and the Son have long been designated and depicted as the Ancient of Days in the Church. Images of the Trinity go back to the earliest centuries of the Church.

Dogmatic Sarcophagus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogmatic_Sarcophagus

"The Dogmatic Sarcophagus, also known as the "Trinity Sarcophagus" is an early Christian sarcophagus dating to 320–350, now in the Vatican Museums (Vatican 104)"

"Three similar figures, representing the Trinity, are involved in the creation of Eve, whose much smaller figure is cut off at lower right. To her right, Adam lies on the ground"

I have observed factions who reject or disparage images of the Father attempting to convince others that the Son is exclusively the Ancient of Days, as if this appellation does not apply equally to the Father as well. They readily supply quotes where the Church refers to the Son as the Ancient of Days, but deliberately pass over or ignore the many citations from Scripture, the Holy Fathers, and the services of the Church that refer to the Father as the Ancient of Days.

This serves to show that whomever argues that the Son is exclusively the Ancient of Days, and that this cannot be applied to the Father as well, is either ignorant of the theology of the Church, and the writings of the Fathers, or they are disingenuous, choosing to ignore the evidence that does not suit their particular bias.

Select Works of S. Ephrem the Syrian:

"He put on old age; as a venerable old man did He judge those iniquitous persons who were effeminate in sin. The Being that waxeth not old put on old age to teach by parables concerning His Son and His Beloved. By the mask of old age He shewed His Fatherhood to teach that He hath a Son, the Son of Man, Whom Daniel saw standing before the Ancient of Days, Who did away with mortal kings, and made Himself a King in the Son of the King Immortal. If it had been One only that was sitting, then had there been one seat; but for this reason he saw not one seat, but seats. He shewed that there was an Assessor with Him, and a Son to the Ancient of Days."

St. Epiphanius of Cyprus - Panarion:

"This Father, Son and Holy Spirit has always vouchsafed to appear in visions to his saints, as each was able to receive [the vision] in accordance with the gift which had been <given> him by the Godhead. This gift was granted to each of those who were deemed worthy, sometimes to see the Father as each was able, <sometimes> to hear his voice as well as he could. When he said by the mouth of Isaiah, “My beloved servant shall understand,” this is the voice of the Father. And when Daniel saw “the Ancient of Days,” this is a vision of the Father."

St. John Chrysostom - Commentary on the Psalms (Psalm 110):

"Thus, too, Daniel sees all creation in attendance, both angels and archangels, by contrast with the Son of Man coming on the clouds and advancing to the Ancient of Days. If our speaking in these terms is a problem for some, however, let them hear that he is seated at his right hand, and be free of the problem. I mean, as we do not claim he is greater than the Father for having the most honorable seat at his right hand, so you for your part do not say he is inferior and less honorable, but of equal status and honor. This, in fact, is indicated by the sharing of the seat."

St. Augustine - On the Trinity:

"33. I do not know in what manner these men understand that the Ancient of Days appeared to Daniel, from whom the Son of man, which He deigned to be for our sakes, is understood to have received the kingdom; namely, from Him who says to Him in the Psalms, "Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten Thee; ask of me, and I shall give Thee the heathen for Thine inheritance; and who has "put all things under His feet." If, however, both the Father giving the kingdom, and the Son receiving it, appeared to Daniel in bodily form, how can those men say that the Father never appeared to the prophets, and, therefore, that He only ought to be understood to be invisible whom no man has seen, nor can see? For Daniel has told us thus: "I beheld," he says, "till the thrones were set, and the Ancient of Days did sit, whose garment was white as snow, and the hair of His head like the pure wool: His throne was like the fiery flame, and His wheels as burning fire; a fiery stream issued and came forth from before Him: thousand thousands ministered unto Him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before Him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened," etc. And a little after, "I saw," he says, "in the night visions, and behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of Days, and they brought Him near before Him. And there was given Him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all peoples, nations, and languages should serve Him: His dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and His kingdom that which shall not be destroyed." Behold the Father giving, and the Son receiving, an eternal kingdom; and both are in the sight of him who prophesies, in a visible form. It is not, therefore, unsuitably believed that God the Father also was wont to appear in that manner to mortals.

St. Gregory Palamas - Homily Fourteen:

"He Whose kingdom is eternal and without end is God. But the Child to be born also had David as His father, therefore He was also man. He was both God and man, Son of man and Son of God. As man He received the inalienable kingdom from God the Father, as Daniel saw and announced beforehand: “I beheld till the thrones were set in place, and the Ancient of days did sit, and, behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days. And there was given him dominion, and glory, and his kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, which shall not be taken by any other king"

St. Symeon of Thessalonica:

"And they depict these things and dress them up contrary to piety, which is opposed to holy icons, as the canon from the sixth ecclesiastical council establishes. For it prohibits depicting things that do not benefit simpler folk.
And that which is contrary to canon law is not pure. And the Fathers do not practice this. But moreover, they produce some things as if in a drama, contrary to divine law. For contrary to the canons, they put men at crossroads and on platforms, as if they were representing iconically things pertaining to the Annunciation of the Virgin and Mother of God, and the crucifixion of the Savior, etc. And one models on behalf of the Virgin, and they call that man Mary; another is called the angel, and another the Ancient of Days, on whom they put white hair for a beard. For since the Latins don’t hold shaving them to be effeminate and contrary to natural law they put on fake ones, hence showing they contrive things as they see fit. For if the prophets saw that God has a beard, iconically speaking, we too have beards in honor of nature and according to what God intended. So they act contrary to what God intended, shaving to the disgrace of nature, especially priests and monks, who defend this bodily vanity. Moreover, they portray the Ancient of Days holding onto a winged dove in place of the Holy Spirit, thereby showing that they follow their own devices.

For if they believe the Spirit proceeds also from the Son, why don’t they portray the Son sitting together with the Ancient of Days, so that both dispatch the dove? But instead, they should also send the Son to the one they call Mary. For the Spirit was not incarnated, even though it hovered over the Virgin. Yet all these things are contrary to reason, alien to Church tradition, and designed to insult the mysteries and Christian piety."

St. Dimitri of Rostov:

"If someone portrays God the Father in the form of a most honorable old man, so it was in reality, when the prophet Daniel and the prophet Isaiah saw the "Ancient of Days", "sitting him on the throne high exaltation, and Seraphim are round about him"

Dionysius of Fourna - The Painters Manual, compiled on Mt. Athos, Greece from 1730-1734 from ancient sources

“The painting of holy images we take over not only from the holy fathers, but also from the holy Apostles and even from the person of Christ our only God… We therefore depict Christ on an icon as a man, since he came into the world and had dealings with men, becoming in the end a man like us except in sin. Likewise we also depict the Timeless Father as an old man, as Daniel saw him clearly…”

St. Nicodemos of the Holy Mountain:

“We must note that since the present Council [the Seventh] in the letter it is sending to the church of the Alexandrians pronounces blissful, or blesses, those who know and admit and recognize, and consequently also iconize and honor the visions and theophaniae of the Prophets, just as God Himself formed these and impressed them upon their mind, but anathematizes on the contrary those who refuse to accept and admit the pictorial representations of such visions before the incarnation of the divine Logos (p. 905 of Vol. II of the Conciliar Records) it is to be inferred that even the beginningless Father ought to have His picture painted just as He appeared to Daniel the prophet as the Ancient of Days.

Letters of Fr. Seraphim Rose (1961-1982)

Oct. 23/Nov. 5, 1979
Apostle James the Brother of the Lord

"Dear Father Neketas...

Fr. Lev accuses “the heretical teaching that the Ancient of Days (Dn. ch. 7) was God the Father” (p. 23). Father, in the past you have already printed enough of such categorical statements that find “heresy” in every corner; it is really time for them to stop. Prophetic images such as the “Ancient of Days” are of such a character that often a hard-and-fast identification is not even possible or necessary, let alone being made into a “dogma” so that misidentification of it is a “heresy.” It happens that some Fathers have indeed identified the Ancient of Days as God the Father, while others identify this image as God the Son. Specifically, St. John Chrysostom in his commentary on Daniel (ch. 7), noting that it is One “like the Son of Man” Who comes to the Ancient of Days, states that Daniel was thus “the first and only one to see the Father and the Son.”Is he then a heretic? The use of such language in this case is just name-calling and vain boasting over ones supposed “correct interpretation” of Scripture."

Thank you for all this research, Cyprian.

It has really helped me to understand the theology behind the Ancient of Days and the words of Christ, "He who sees Me, sees the Father. I and the Father are One." Thus, the Ancient of Days represents both the Father and the Son.

jdigrande
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by jdigrande »

Cyprian:

The Roman sculptures from the 4th century do depict the Trinity. But sculptures are not allowed in Orthodox Church by way of the Council of Trullo (the 6th Council) three hundred plus years later.

My only possible objection to the Trinity ikon is the insertion of a triangle within the ikon. It is a matter of debate whether this is a Latin innovative insertion into an otherwise Orthodox ikon. I also have no problem with the Trinity ikon (from St. Andrew Rublev) which is another symbolic rendering of the Trinity via the three angels visiting St. Abraham and Sarah.

Christ was also energetically and symbolically depicted as a fish in many catacomb paintings in the 1st and 2nd centuries. Do you know of any ikons of fish in GOC churches nowadays? I do not think so. There are none in RTOC churches that I have been in.

A sculptural aside

Christ was 3D rendered sculpturally (according to Eusebius) in the 4th century outside of a church in the East but 3D sculpture was forbidden in 681 in the East. It was ignored in the West where 3D sculptures adorned churches from 681-1285..., mainly on the exteriors of churches. After 1285 many of these 3D sculptures moved into Latin churches.

If the Latins come back to the Church in the future, will the TOC's demand the destruction of all Latin 3D sculptures starting with the Rondanini Pieta? Do we take the hammer to the Rondanini Pieta first or do we first take care of the demons Apollo and Athena first?

Although 3D sculptures of Christ inside or outside of Churches in the East were forbidden after 681, in absolute hypocrisy, all three Romes (Constantinople, Rome and Moscow) both before and after 681 littered their cities, palaces and domains with 3d sculptures of the demons Apollo, Athena, Zeus etc. (St. Athanasius the Great: "the gods of the pagans are demons.") But these demons were not allowed in churches. Plethon composed a liturgy to the demon Zeus in the 15th century and was invited to take the boat to Florence in 1439 to the Council with the Tsar and his bishops. Was he ever condemned for this liturgy by the Greek Church?

I bring the idea of 3D sculpture up in that you brought up the 4th century Roman sculpture as proof of ikons related to the Trinity. But it was not an ikon, but a sculpture on a tomb. I have seen 3d sculptures of saints in Kiev (Vladimir and Anthony and Theodosius of the Caves). All three would never be allowed in Orthodox Churches today.

It is a slippery, sculptural slope into the possible realm of the Orthodox version of the Taliban (who recently destroyed all the Buddhas in Afghanistan) if we ever get temporal power again in this world.

Would the Rondanini Pieta be safe from the future theological hammers of the TOC's in that it is in a museum in Florence along with the Trinity sculpture of the 4th century which in a Roman museum?

Christ verbally circumscribed the Essence of God as Father throughout the New Testament. The Creed verbally repeated what Christ did.

In ikons from Sinai in the East, God is energetically circumscribed as Father in the form of the hand of God in the right hand corners of many ikons. The Essence of the Holy Spirit is energetically written on ikons in the form of a dove.

Because of the extent of the destruction of ikons from 717-843 we do not know the extent of the Trinity ikons within the eastern half of the church prior to 843.

The Ancient of Days appears energetically as the 2nd Person of the Trinity (the Son) to St. John at Patmos and as God the Father energetically to St. Daniel in the Old Testament Both can and should be venerated. That is my view.

But my point is that there are scholars who disagree about this. To really understand, agree or disagree with their point of view they must be read. I am not an expert. It would be helpful if a bibliography of both sides would be inserted on this site so that the normal reader here can consider both sides (or more sides than that) and decide for themselves. I have read a few books on both sides but am not an expert.

It is apparent you have studied this issue more than me but I am not sure you are an expert and/or have published works supporting your view which have been reviewed by other historical experts in this field.

As far as ikonoclasm (the destruction of ikons and persecution of people and churches because of those ikons), it is a stretch to extend that term (the destruction of ikons) to some of the usual suspects involved on this site in my view.

Cyprian, Thank you for taking the time to present your point of view. I learned a great deal reading it.