Reviving "Out of Print" books by World Orthodox censorship.

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Reviving "Out of Print" books by World Orthodox censorship.

Post by Barbara »

Thank you for digging up the quotations.
Elder Nektary was certainly the most quirky of the Optina Elders.
Let's remember that he was extremely well-read, because he had sequestered himself for several {?} years away from anyone. He read books on varied topics, more than the other Elders were ever able to do [due to lack of time, reception of large numbers of pilgrims, etc.]

I guess these predictions are the fruit of Elder Nektary's deep thought on the different subjects, combined with prayer.

Rumpelstiltskin
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: NA

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Suffering wrote:Thu 1 January 1970 4:04 pm

"Once N. Pavlovich asked the Elder, "Is it possible to hope for the unification of the churches?" He replied, "No! Only an Ecumenical Council could do that, but there will be no more councils. There have been seven councils, like the seven sacraments and the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit. For our age, the number of fullness is the number seven. Eight is the number of the future age. Only separate people will be united to our Church."
 Elder Nektary of Optina, page 182.

I could totally see that as against the World Orthodox "ethos"  :wink:
  Because the reality is that all the heresies even ecumenism etc have all been condemned since the seven councils, it's so clear. What I just realized is because of your comment how sinister this all really is. Because the World Orthodox are trying to maintain the illusion of something that hasn't existed for a long time and likely won't return. That is, a visibly unified Church. They will seek their unity and it will follow anti-Christ just as World Orthodoxy has been for over a century! And they will remain in denial.

Rumpelstiltskin
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: NA

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Suffering wrote:Thu 1 January 1970 4:04 pm
Barbara wrote: Sun 21 April 2024 12:07 am

Why is that these particular Optina Elder biographies have been censored ?
What is the perceived dangerous material in them, if you know ?

"And in the last days before Christ's coming it will be preserved in the following form: one Orthodox Bishop, one Orthodox priest, and one Orthodox layman. I'm not saying that there won't be any churches at all - maybe there will be - but Orthodoxy itself will be preserved only in such a form." Elder Nektary of Optina, page 179.

Thanks for the quotes Suffering Orthodoxy! I hope your move to Alabama is going well. If you happen to have the book or access to it, consider compiling a PDF if you are ever able, but I know that's a lot to ask. Watch out for those tornadoes! 

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

How did poor Suffering manage to write a post on Jan 1, 1970 - ??! I guess Suffering is a REALLY old-timer !
Well that's why we haven't heard from Suffering all this time, thanks for giving the reason, Joel.
I was wondering where you were, too ! Glad to see both of you bac here.