Romanian Old Calendar Orthodox Church (Slatioara)

Information, news stories, and questions about True Traditionalist Orthodox Churches. This is the place to post encyclicals and any official public communications from True Orthodox jurisdictions.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Romanian Old Calendar Orthodox Church (Slatioara)

Post by Jean-Serge »

Hello,

I would like to get a better view of the current situation of the Romanian Old Calendar Orthodox Church (Slatioara Synod). The last 2-3 years were marked by several events within the synod:

- deposition of the previous Metropolitan Vlasie, who refused it (but all the material on their website about this topic was removed and I did not download it)
- publication of a confession of faith where they condemned the "Ecclesiological thesis" of the late Cyprian of Fili (see here https://www.manastireaslatioara.ro/stir ... e-credinta)
- break of communion with the GOC-Kallinikos, ROCOR-A and Bulgarian old calendarist
- death of Metropolitan Vlasie

Their website is https://www.manastireaslatioara.ro/

What is the current situation? Is the communion still broken with the GOC-Kallinikos, ROCOR-A and Bulgarian old calendarist? If so, is this concretely respected ?

How do they justify condemning the "Ecclesiological thesis" of the late Cyprian of Fili after years of communion?

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Romanian Old Calendar Orthodox Church (Slatioara)

Post by Barbara »

I don't have the answers, Jean-Serge. But this is really interesting ! I had no idea about the deposition of Met Vlasie.

Does anyone know WHY ?
And why did he repose right after that ?
Why was the material cleansed from their website ?
Who is the Metropolitan now, if there is one ? Presumably that clergyman is responsible for some of this change.

Please let us know if you dig up anything on these developments, thanks !

Davyd97
Jurisdiction: GOC-K

Post by Davyd97 »

Barbara wrote: Tue 27 February 2024 11:56 pm

I don't have the answers, Jean-Serge. But this is really interesting ! I had no idea about the deposition of Met Vlasie.

Does anyone know WHY ?
And why did he repose right after that ?
Why was the material cleansed from their website ?
Who is the Metropolitan now, if there is one ? Presumably that clergyman is responsible for some of this change.

Please let us know if you dig up anything on these developments, thanks !

That whole event is shady. The faction of the synod that did the coup claimed that Met Vlasie was having an affair but i don't that is true

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Oh, thanks for that ! Well I happen to recall now that you mention it that the reposed Metropolitan Vlasie was born in '56. So he would have been about 65 or 66 at the time of the purported event.
That hardly seems likely, at that age !
Maybe that was the only excuse his rival or rivals could come up with ?! If so, he must have been irreproachable in conduct.

Do you know anything about any resumption of communion with the other 2 TOC's, Davyd97 ?

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

I used to visit the website https://www.manastireaslatioara.ro/. I then used Google translator. M big mistake was not to download the PDF documents or make copy, because all would have been easier to investigate later.

From what I remember and I see, the whole synod voted to depose Metropolitant Vlasie. He refused the decision and was supported by some priests. Following his death, I heard that some supporters of him are commemorating Metropolitan Agafangel of ROCOR-A, but I am not sure. If I remember, the synod deposed him due to a relationship with a nun, and also accused hil of hindering the Synod's work. Due to him blocking the synod's work for year, it was impossible to address the ecclessiological matter of cyprianism. Well, do not tell what I am writing for granted because I read it long ago, with Google Translator.

Currently, the new head is Metropolitan Demosthene https://www.manastireaslatioara.ro/home ... ului-sinod

It is also possible to contact them directly, for sure somebody must know English
https://www.manastireaslatioara.ro/home/contact

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Jean-Serge,
Thanks for this information, even though it's tentative at the moment til someone investigates properly.
Do you know how Metropolitan Vlasie reposed ? Was it connected with shock at the upheaval ?