GOC-K elects new assistant bishop for America.

Information, news stories, and questions about True Traditionalist Orthodox Churches. This is the place to post encyclicals and any official public communications from True Orthodox jurisdictions.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Davyd97
Jurisdiction: GOC-K

GOC-K elects new assistant bishop for America.

Post by Davyd97 »

On Wednesday, February 15/28, 2024, the Holy Synod of the Hierarchy of the Church of the True Orthodox Christians of Greece convened in an extraordinary session at the Synodical Center of Agia Filothei (Kleidimou 6, Petralona) in Athens, under the Presidency of Makas Archbishop of Athens and of all Greece, Mr. Kallinikos, and the participation of thirteen other High Priests from Greece and from abroad. After the celebration of the Divine Liturgy by Rev. Metropolitan of Methoni, Mr. Ambrosiou, proceeded to the election of Auxiliary Bishops of the Holy Archdiocese of Athens (under the title of Talanti) and of the Holy Metropolis of America (under the title of Astoria).

During the process of electing the Bishop of Astoria and the discussion on the list of candidates sent by the Holy Provincial Synod of America, the opinions of the members of the Synod on the most suitable persons were formulated. After the election procedure was carried out according to the Regulations, on 14 valid ballots, they received: 

1. Panosiol. Hierom. Father Theologos Stavroullakis ψῆphon 1.
  2. Panosiol. Hierom. Father Parthenios Hansen votes 3.
  3. Panosiol. Hierom. Fr. Benediktos Miovski votes 10.

Therefore, the Bishop of Astoria, Auxiliary Bishop of the Holy Metropolis of America, was elected by the gathering of the majority of those provided for under the Regulation by the enhanced majority of 2/3 of the votes, Panosiol. Hierom. Fr. Benediktos Miovski. 

Fr. Benedict is 36 years old, a member of the Brotherhood of the Holy Andrew Monastery of Saint John the Archbishop of Maximovitch in Cobleskill, New York, USA, he has a degree in Theology from the University of Skopje and is able to officiate in Greek, English ὶ and Slavonist, as a connoisseur of these languages ​​as well as others, a very important thing for the Flock of our Church in America. 

The Mass of the Great Message and its ordination will take place in Greece at a place and time that will be announced shortly.
SavaBeljovic
Faith: True Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: ROAC

Re: GOC-K elects new assistant bishop for America.

Post by SavaBeljovic »

Davyd97 wrote: Fri 1 March 2024 12:08 am

On Wednesday, February 15/28, 2024, the Holy Synod of the Hierarchy of the Church of the True Orthodox Christians of Greece convened in an extraordinary session at the Synodical Center of Agia Filothei (Kleidimou 6, Petralona) in Athens, under the Presidency of Makas Archbishop of Athens and of all Greece, Mr. Kallinikos, and the participation of thirteen other High Priests from Greece and from abroad. After the celebration of the Divine Liturgy by Rev. Metropolitan of Methoni, Mr. Ambrosiou, proceeded to the election of Auxiliary Bishops of the Holy Archdiocese of Athens (under the title of Talanti) and of the Holy Metropolis of America (under the title of Astoria).

During the process of electing the Bishop of Astoria and the discussion on the list of candidates sent by the Holy Provincial Synod of America, the opinions of the members of the Synod on the most suitable persons were formulated. After the election procedure was carried out according to the Regulations, on 14 valid ballots, they received: 

Therefore, the Bishop of Astoria, Auxiliary Bishop of the Holy Metropolis of America, was elected by the gathering of the majority of those provided for under the Regulation by the enhanced majority of 2/3 of the votes, Panosiol. Hierom. Fr. Benediktos Miovski. 

Fr. Benedict is 36 years old, a member of the Brotherhood of the Holy Andrew Monastery of Saint John the Archbishop of Maximovitch in Cobleskill, New York, USA, he has a degree in Theology from the University of Skopje and is able to officiate in Greek, English ὶ and Slavonist, as a connoisseur of these languages ​​as well as others, a very important thing for the Flock of our Church in America. 

The Mass of the Great Message and its ordination will take place in Greece at a place and time that will be announced shortly.

I met Fr. Benedict at the St. John monastery, very nice man. He's Macedonian but speaks Serbian, I spoke with him quite a bit when I visited. Many years to him.

“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding."

Davyd97

Post by Davyd97 »

SavaBeljovic wrote: Fri 1 March 2024 3:38 pm
Davyd97 wrote: Fri 1 March 2024 12:08 am

I met Fr. Benedict at the St. John monastery, very nice man. He's Macedonian but speaks Serbian, I spoke with him quite a bit when I visited. Many years to him.

All of the candidates were very good picks. I am a bit shocked that Fr Joachim wasn't in the running, as everyone there was telling me that Fr Joachim is met Demetrius' "right-hand man". Though I am not sure if they meant that in terms of running the monastery.

SavaBeljovic
Faith: True Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: ROAC

Post by SavaBeljovic »

Fr. Joachim I remember very well, my godfather was placed under obedience to him while I was there. He's a younger man, and I can't recall him knowing anything more than Greek (and English). I am not doubting his ability but Fr. Benedict might make more sense to the Synod due to his age and knowing three different languages.

“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding."

Davyd97

Post by Davyd97 »

SavaBeljovic wrote: Fri 1 March 2024 10:33 pm

Fr. Joachim I remember very well, my godfather was placed under obedience to him while I was there. He's a younger man, and I can't recall him knowing anything more than Greek (and English). I am not doubting his ability but Fr. Benedict might make more sense to the Synod due to his age and knowing three different languages.

Fr Joachim is around Bishop-elect Benedict's age. I am sure there is a reason but there is always tomorrow.