"Icon"of the Seas cruise ship sets sail

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Barbara
Protoposter

Re: "Icon"of the Seas cruise ship sets sail

Post by Barbara »

OK, i'll look up Explora ! That right there is evidence that the cruise industry is doing well.
Before, there was a phase, it seems, when Carnival was buying up all the other lines ! Which seems to indicate that the lines were not doing so well.
But cruising must have finally caught on with the American public for this Icon of the Seas to be commissioned, and an entire new line to be debuted.
Have you gone aboard any of the ships to familiarize with them without going on the cruise ? For example when Holland America used to come to the California coast, they would invite travel-related people check out the ship and its facilities, giving each a cabin to stay overnight at the port ? That was fun, but then I moved far away, so those invitations ceased. That's the full extent of my knowledge of HAL. It's certainly a classic name in cruising. Did you go anywhere on any of their ships ? I think they go to Alaska.

That would be really fun to see the fjords - AND especially the historical beginnings of Russian Orthodoxy in North America ! I always ask anyone who plans to travel to Alaska by land or by any means whether they might be interested to see the early Russian Churches there. However, no one has yet been motivated enough to follow my advice, let alone visit St Herman of Alaska's relics or such spiritual sites. They only talk about wanting to see dogsledding !!!

RocaRemnant
Jr Member
Faith: True Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: ROCANA

Post by RocaRemnant »

Barbara wrote: Sun 28 January 2024 11:10 pm

PS - Why do you like Celebrity ?
Whereabouts have YOU gone ? Tell us !!

I don’t work on the ships, I’m working in Curaçao but we get Celebrity every 2 weeks. I hear great things from the passengers

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Oh, OK. Sounds very interesting !

What are color enhanced diamonds, by the way ? What colors are available, in short ? Only yellowish or other shades ?

RocaRemnant
Jr Member

Post by RocaRemnant »

Colour enhanced diamonds are normal natural diamonds that come in every shade available. They are put in a high pressure high temperature to get the colour to change. A natural diamond usually comes in 3 colours, white, yellow and brown but with the enhancement treatment you can get black, blue, apple green, purple etc

RocaRemnant
Jr Member

Post by RocaRemnant »

Barbara wrote: Sun 28 January 2024 11:21 pm

OK, i'll look up Explora ! That right there is evidence that the cruise industry is doing well.
Before, there was a phase, it seems, when Carnival was buying up all the other lines ! Which seems to indicate that the lines were not doing so well.
But cruising must have finally caught on with the American public for this Icon of the Seas to be commissioned, and an entire new line to be debuted.
Have you gone aboard any of the ships to familiarize with them without going on the cruise ? For example when Holland America used to come to the California coast, they would invite travel-related people check out the ship and its facilities, giving each a cabin to stay overnight at the port ? That was fun, but then I moved far away, so those invitations ceased. That's the full extent of my knowledge of HAL. It's certainly a classic name in cruising. Did you go anywhere on any of their ships ? I think they go to Alaska.

That would be really fun to see the fjords - AND especially the historical beginnings of Russian Orthodoxy in North America ! I always ask anyone who plans to travel to Alaska by land or by any means whether they might be interested to see the early Russian Churches there. However, no one has yet been motivated enough to follow my advice, let alone visit St Herman of Alaska's relics or such spiritual sites. They only talk about wanting to see dogsledding !!!

I remember as a kid the captain of freewinds (Scientology ship) invited me and my dad on board to watch a movie and gave us a small tour. I haven’t had such an experience since. It must have been around 2008 or 2009.

Holland America goes to Alaska very often, I think royal Caribbean does too with Serenade Of The Seas.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Interesting about the multi-hued diamonds that are possible to produce ! I have never seen even one in any of those shades. Is the whole diamond a strong color, then ? Or it's subdued, just a touch of blue, green, etc.?
Purple diamonds, that's something !

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

About your experience, I think ships are SO much fun !

However, Icon of the Seas might be a little too populous for real relaxation, which is supposedly the point of a cruise.
Passengers do not have to pack and unpack every day to take off for a new destination. Instead, they leave all their luggage in their cabin for the duration of the cruise. This is really a big advantage.
Some people sign up for the non-stop food available. There are huge buffets of everything imaginable on even the least lavish lines.
One problem can be assigned seating for meals. That's a pain. Why would one want to sit with a certain set of strangers every meal ? In my case, i would slip away to sit somewhere else and bring a book to read, as well as stay as short a time as possible in the noisy surroundings of any regular meal served on board.