"Icon"of the Seas cruise ship sets sail

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Barbara
Protoposter

"Icon"of the Seas cruise ship sets sail

Post by Barbara »

Icon of the Mother of God of the "Sea"

I thought the cruise ship's name was ironic. The vessel is acclaimed as the largest cruise ship in the world, with a capacity of up to 7,600 passengers.
Boasting 20-! decks, 7 swimming pools, and even a skating rink, this Royal Caribbean ship took its maiden voyage from Florida on St Nina's Day. Was there an Icon of the Saint on board -?!

Another ship going by the name Icon in some form will be launched in the later part of 2025. The exact title is likely not known yet.

Last edited by Barbara on Sun 28 January 2024 11:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RocaRemnant
Jr Member
Faith: True Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: ROCANA

Re: "Icon"of the Seas cruise ship sets sail

Post by RocaRemnant »

Considering that I work with tourists who come on cruises, I highly highly doubt it they have an icon on board.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Oh Great ! It's nice to hear that another member is up with the cruise industry to some degree ! I understand it's rebounded since the slump during 2020-21 or -22. Thus justifying a gigantic ship like this. Before there were megaships, but Icon of the Seas outclasses them all.

You're right of course, especially considering it's Royal Caribbean [ a not very good line. ] But, let me tell you, I was once on a Renaissance ultra-ultra ship which went from Bombay [Mumbai] through the Suez Canal, ending in Alexandria, Egypt and finally Venice.
On that, there was a Greek Orthodox woman who was frantic to get to St Catherine's Monastery, Mt Sinai. She offered to charter a helicopter with me to visit the venerable monastery from the nearest port. I was eager to go - until I heard the price ! I tearfully had to let her travel by herself. She said it was fantastic to see St Catherine's.
So - i bet this pilgrim had at least one Icon aboard - !!!

Actually, some cruises include places like Meteora [ i saw that too from a cruise ship ]. Probably St Catherine's didn't have a real gift shop on the premises, but Meteora and surroundings certainly did ! I brought bac a few Icons ; i'm sure a number of other passengers did, too.

So yes, Icons DO go aboard and travel with cruise ships. But whether Icon of the Seas will boast any is not sure. I don't know the vessel's scheduled routes, but I assume they will be in the Western Hemisphere.
I think a beautiful Icon of the Mother of God, maybe like the one i posted above, would be ideal on either side of the top of the bow...

Last edited by Barbara on Sun 28 January 2024 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RocaRemnant
Jr Member

Post by RocaRemnant »

That’s absolutely wonderful. I had a Greek Orthodox lady on HAL Zuiderdam who bought a wonderful tanzanite set. But if you’re looking for a great cruise I highly recommend Explora and Celebrity cruises.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I haven't heard of Explora ! I was away from the industry for 20-30 years. I'll have to look that up.
YES ! In fact, I was remembering but didn't write that the shops offered really nice gems ! I was wondering whether that was what you were referring to regarding clients.
It's after all a captive audience - no one can go anywhere off the ship for sometimes 5 days or more. Thus it's a good opportunity to sell gems, as passengers are looking for the exotic, like tanzanite must be, right ?

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

PS - Why do you like Celebrity ?
Whereabouts have YOU gone ? Tell us !!

RocaRemnant
Jr Member

Post by RocaRemnant »

Explora is relatively new as they just launched last year and are launching a new ship this year.

Some people are rather picky, some love diamonds, precious gems, semi precious gems, lab grown diamonds or colour enhanced diamonds