The Cat Thread - Cat rescues, etc.

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Barbara
Protoposter

The Cat Thread - Cat rescues, etc.

Post by Barbara »

An ‘essentially frozen and unresponsive’ cat was found buried under a mountain of snow on Thursday, Jan. 31. Fluffy, the cat, has since made a miraculous recovery.

Fluffy, who lives in northwestern Montana in Kalispell, was found by her owners in a snowbank.

The day she was found, Kalispell was suffering from freezing temperatures with a low of 8 F on Thursday morning, and temperatures the previous morning, Jan. 30, were below zero.

While it was not snowing on Thursday, there was about 6 inches of snow on the ground, according to AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Tom Kines.

She was rushed to the Animal Clinic of Kalispell after being found.

Animal Clinic of Kalispell Dr. Jevon Clark told ABC News that when the owners brought Fluffy to the clinic, her temperature was so low that it didn't even register on a thermometer, with a bottom range of 90 F.

Cats' temperatures normally are around 101 F, Clark explained.

After about two hours of using warm water and blankets, the cat’s temperature was still too low.

Fluffy was then brought to the emergency room, where she finally began to show signs of recovery after a few hours.

....Fluffy is now fully recovered and back home with her owners."

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather- ... k/70007371

Never give up is surely the lesson for pet owners ! Veterinarian care can work marvels these days.
Nonetheless, animals should be kept inside as much as possible during extremes of temperature, both cold and hot. Owners have to watch for cats appearing out of nowhere and rushing out a door when it's opened even for a moment to get the mail or for any task.

Barbara
Protoposter

Frozen Marmalade Maine Cat survives ...

Post by Barbara »

Never give up on a cat, once again ! On the other side of the country, in Maine, a marmalade colored cat survived being completely frozen.
The before and after pictures are startling. I watched it without sound 1st and didn't realize that the cat shown in the cage was the same feline. I thought it was just another cat present at the vet.

Sensitive people should not watch the video, however.

It's only 1 minute for the curious :

https://www.accuweather.com/en/videos/m8pazv3d

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Man saves Dog; Dog saves Cats

Post by Maria »

Man Saves Dog, and then the Dog Saves Cats and Kittens - It's a Miracle of Love.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Cats recognize their own names even if cats ignore us

Post by Maria »

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... YwMDE1OQS2

Cats Recognize Their Own Names—Even If They Choose to Ignore Them
By Jim Daley on April 4, 2019

Cats are notorious for their indifference to humans: Almost any owner will testify to how readily these animals ignore us when we call them. But according to a study published Thursday in Scientific Reports, domestic cats do recognize their own names—even if they walk away when they hear them. ...

“Cats are just as good as dogs at learning,” Bradshaw says. “They’re just not as keen to show their owners what they’ve learned.” Most cat owners would probably agree.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Orthodox in Michigan
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC Archbishop Pachomios

Re: The Cat Thread - Cat rescues, etc.

Post by Orthodox in Michigan »

Cats can surprise you , i have two they are sisters never seemed to get along and get very competitive for my attention and when go for a walk with our dog if they are outside will follow us the whole walk.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

The video Maria recommended has an inspiring lesson. I won't spoil it for those who may wish to watch the short clip.
But - after reading so many stories about the intercessions of St John Maximovitch, I expected it to be revealed that this Saint was the healer of Philip Gonzales' arm.

Probably not, but notice how the miraculous healing is blandly attributed to 'angels' rather than to a Saint or the Mother of God. Well, this toned-down approach by the filmmaker proves how daring the Time-Life magazine was to include that section, faulty as it was, on St John. [ See http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/vi ... tch#p74673 ]

Anyway, it's wonderful that the right dog and the right man met up and went to work to help cats in difficult situations. It's also great that Mr Gonzales felt the wealth of his gold coins paled in comparison with the needs of the poor stray felines.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

What type or color of cats do you have, OrthodoxInMichigan ?

Here is a pic for you of a ~ cats + dog situation ~!