What Happened?

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Luke
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

What Happened?

Post by Luke »

For about two weeks, I could not get to this web page. I kept getting an SQL error. I am glad to have access again and hope all those who run the computer are doing fine.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: What Happened?

Post by Barbara »

Right, it is a relief to see this Forum working again ! Thanks for your good wishes, Luke. I hope you are well, too.
The message said General Error, this site marked as - yikes !! - "crashed". It sounded so dire. Maybe too many people were accessing it ?

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

During the forum break due to technical issues, I was grounded from February 5 to March 5 due to Frontier/DSL-Extreme manpower shortages and Telephone/DSL problems due to the invasive freezing rain, chewing rodents, fires, mudslides, flash flooding, wind turbulence, and downed telephone lines here in Southern and Northern California. It was so bad that Frontier kept postponing my appointment to address my intermittent telephone problems and inability to connect to the Internet. In the meantime, I learned that I was among millions who were incapable of connecting to the Internet unless they had Spectrum or a trusty Smart Phone. Without a smart phone or a connection through my PC, I was dead in the water.

I finally switched to Spectrum.

By the way, DSL Extreme will not issue a credit for days or weeks spent without the Internet. Additionally, their technical support staff is generally very poor and is slow in responding to customer's needs. This has not been my first negative experience with DSL Extreme. All total, I have experienced at least three months of downtime or more. DSL Extreme rents the copper lines from Frontier and then provides service. Frontier is not their friend, but their adverse competitor. I had to deal with both DSL Extreme and Frontier. To avoid a double headache, It is better to deal with one company rather than hassle with two separate and competing entities.

Lately, DSL Extreme, Frontier, Spectrum, and other Telco-Internet companies have been competing for the market. While Spectrum is more pricey, Frontier and DSL Extreme cannot be trusted whenever it rains especially due to the copper lines. During the pervasive drought we have experienced in California, the lines were slow but trustworthy, but with this continuous rain, it has been miserable. Even Spectrum and Direct TV have their downtimes whenever the weather turns turbulent.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Luke
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Post by Luke »

Sounds like you went through a nightmare. Lord have mercy!

Madison Grant
Jr Member

Post by Madison Grant »

By looking at the view count on every thread, it looks like we were hit by a shady person. Someone got triggered, hard.

Madison Grant
Jr Member

Post by Madison Grant »

The thread title had me recall this gem from the 2016 Presidential election.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

I got a phone call from wgw, a computer person working with Anastasios, our CEO and Webmaster.

He is going to switch this forum over to another format.

Things should be improving shortly.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.