G.O.C any help appreciated

This forum is for polite discussions among the various True Orthodox Christians. Only confirmed members of TOC jurisdictions are permitted. However, TOC inquirers and catechumen may be admitted at the administrator's discretion. Private discussions should take place in DM's or via email. Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

someguy
Jr Member

Re: G.O.C any help appreciated

Post by someguy »

@d9popov, once again thank you for your learned and knowledgeable replies

I am guessing nobody has any info on those bishops which were named above?

The reason I asked about the ordaining of a bishop technical matters is that I have heard from other opposing GOC's of Archbishop Micheal that he had a single handed consecration although it was endorsed by multiple bishops but only one was physically present is the way the story goes...

I am attempting to narrow my search and I have two parishes remaining...

Another question which I have seen is that alot of GOCs have the slight differences in terms of the technical liturgical practices, for example;

• The closing of the sanctuary door at different times or only when before communing
  • The lighting/existence of candles on the left and right of the sanctuary door ie; when scripture reading and communing they are lit
  • The use or not of pure bees wax candles and so forth

Can the more knowledgeable give opinions if the following the above or not would cost a parish orthodoxy or the synod above the parish not actively participating in modern day ecumenism of merging with opposing religions whilst not actually agreeing on dogma is the main requirement?

Thanks as always and happy nativity fast

someguy
Jr Member

Post by someguy »

I just saw your other response now...

Yes they seem to follow the Florinite synod group of Auxentios prior to the schism and latter Kallinikos/SIR etc groups which are now joined again...

It was mentioned that Auxentios was a good and just bishop though a scandal arose because he ordained a homosexual? Which then other bishops in the synod used as an excuse to schism...

If those names are unknown it may be hard to figure out the truth though I will try to ask for more history or just give up?

So if this option is no good the only remaining parish that is alot further but accessible is an ex SIR parish which is now joined to Kallinikos synod which has a Serbian priest there at this time which is under ROCA (Agafagnel)

Once again thanks for everyone's guidance and vast knowledge/experience

Orthodox in Michigan
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC Archbishop Pachomios

Post by Orthodox in Michigan »

d9popov wrote:
Orthodox in Michigan wrote:

i am curious why the establishment of the world council of churches would be on this calendar as if is of importance to this synod?

Easy question. The establishment of the WCC is important (negatively) because it contributed greatly to the spread of the Branch Theory Heresy within the Eastern Orthodox world. For example, in the 1950s, Father Georges Florovsky and others stated boldly that the Orthodox Church was the one true church and that "ecumenism" for them was "universal conversion to Orthodoxy." This did not last. By the late 1960s, both Constantinople and Moscow were preaching the Branch Theory Heresy: Constantinople explicitly and Moscow by offering Communion to Roman Catholics. The note in the calendar is obviously contrasting (1) what it considers to be a bad historical event for Orthodoxy (WCC founding) with (2) what it considers to be a good historical event (consecration and foundation of Matthewite synod by Bishop Matthew), both of which occurred 70 years ago, in 1948.

Strange since it is very misleading to most a calendar would list a negative comparison under a dedication. You just dont do that without out suspicion, or not say what it means with an explanation, being dedicated to as a good thing .