Matthewites and Chrysostomites

This forum is for polite discussions among the various True Orthodox Christians. Only confirmed members of TOC jurisdictions are permitted. However, TOC inquirers and catechumen may be admitted at the administrator's discretion. Private discussions should take place in DM's or via email. Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Matthewites and Chrysostomites

Post by Maria »

Justice wrote:
Bishop_Irineos wrote:
Justice wrote:

I'm happy to say that after reading Fr. Stephen Fraser's book, I agree with the "Matthewite" position. However I agree with Maria we shouldn't call each other by these demeaning labels.

Do you? So nobody else is Orthodox?

Fr Stephan's book pointed out all of the uncanonical consecrations done by Archbishop Auxentios. Because of this, it makes me question the apostolic succession of some of these synods. Now do I think they have a heretical theology regarding the New Calendarists? absolutely not! the synods that follow Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina no longer consider the New Calendarises to only be potentially schismatic.

I mean no disrespect to your or any other synod that follows Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina.

Just because consecrations are uncanonical does not mean that they are heretical.

In fact, Archbishop Auxentios' own secret consecration was uncanonical as he did not mention that he had been defrocked by the Synod of St. Matthew, but his consecration was eventually rectified by the protocol issued by Met. Philaret and his ROCOR synod.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

Maria wrote:
Justice wrote:
Bishop_Irineos wrote:

Do you? So nobody else is Orthodox?

Fr Stephan's book pointed out all of the uncanonical consecrations done by Archbishop Auxentios. Because of this, it makes me question the apostolic succession of some of these synods. Now do I think they have a heretical theology regarding the New Calendarists? absolutely not! the synods that follow Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina no longer consider the New Calendarises to only be potentially schismatic.

I mean no disrespect to your or any other synod that follows Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina.

Just because consecrations are uncanonical does not mean that they are heretical.

In fact, Archbishop Auxentios' own secret consecration was uncanonical as he did not mention that he had been defrocked by the Synod of St. Matthew, but his consecration was eventually rectified by the protocol issued by Met. Philaret and his ROCOR synod.

OK I can get behind that idea.
Are there any signs to show that St. Philaret regretted consecrating Archbishop Auxentios for his attacks on the GOC under then Archbishop Andreas?

Agios_Irineos

Post by Agios_Irineos »

Maria and Justice,

There is little that I find more tiresome than one TOC synod attacking another as uncanonical. It takes a true measure of delusion to believe that any TOC synod is without canonical irregularities. (In fact, even the most strident usually don't even try to do that with a straight face - rather they defend how their canonical anomalies were necessary and how everyone else's puts them outside the Church. Whatever. I guess some people buy it.) The persecution of the the TOC by the state church and the Godless government has had the intended effect of dividing the witness of the True Orthodox and forcing various synods to measures that may be described as "uncanonical" in order to survive. I am certain that those who would persecute the True Orthodox rejoice whenever we attack one another along those same lines.

This being Great Lent I will not belabor the subject. Please pray for me as I do for the two of you.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Bishop_Irineos wrote:

Maria and Justice,

There is little that I find more tiresome than one TOC synod attacking another as uncanonical. It takes a true measure of delusion to believe that any TOC synod is without canonical irregularities. (In fact, even the most strident usually don't even try to do that with a straight face - rather they defend how their canonical anomalies were necessary and how everyone else's puts them outside the Church. Whatever. I guess some people buy it.) The persecution of the the TOC by the state church and the Godless government has had the intended effect of dividing the witness of the True Orthodox and forcing various synods to measures that may be described as "uncanonical" in order to survive. I am certain that those who would persecute the True Orthodox rejoice whenever we attack one another along those same lines.

This being Great Lent I will not belabor the subject. Please pray for me as I do for the two of you.

Bishop Irineos,

Thank you for your words of wisdom.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Indeed, excellent remarks.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

Amen.