Indulgences

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Lydia
Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ex-HOCNA and searching

Indulgences

Post by Lydia »

I recieved this article in an e-mail which left me in shock.
http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/print7185.htm#rel11
Is it true that the Greek Church indulged in indulgences? I had never heard such a thing before.
The article references an absolution certificate dated 1955!
It also says that a Pan-Orthodox Council in Constantinople in 1727 endorsed the practice.
Is any of this true?

Isaakos
Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin- Discerning the GOC’s.

Re: Indulgences

Post by Isaakos »

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Absolution_Certificates

A good brief description here. I think is it almost the same
Article?

Blessed is the man who has volunteered to hold and keep until the end of his life our holy Orthodox faith, the faith of the one Church of Christ and our mother, the Catholic and Apostolic Church.

Archbishop Matthew Karpathakis

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

Saint Dionysius of the Holy Mountain endorsed indulgences and to my knowledge didn't repent for it. Also, even though indulgences were condemned by a Pan-Orthodox council in 1838, is it true that Constantinople kept selling indulgences up until the early 20th century?

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

We have had wicked hierarchs and clergy who would betray Christ for 40 pieces of silver through the selling of indulgences and the use of simony just as the Apostles experienced their Judas. We must be forever vigilant.

This is probably one of many reasons why St. Matthew, Metropolitan of Bresthena, encouraged and ministered to the True Orthodox Christians of Greece in the early 1920s and continued doing so until his death in 1950.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.