The Shin, The Dove, and the Holy Spirit

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

The Shin, The Dove, and the Holy Spirit

Post by Justice »

NotChrysostomYet wrote:
Maria wrote:
NotChrysostomYet wrote:

How is the cross in the second image "repellent"? Countless Orthodox (even True Orthodox!) use a similarly shaped cross on various things, not only today but even as far back as the first few centuries of Christianity. A quick Google search will prove that to be true. Seeing a Christian criticize a simple cross like that is quite sad. Really Barbara, taking you seriously is rather difficult when you criticize things for no discernible reason other than a minimal association with groups you dislike.

I think Barbara is rightfully upset with all the horrific modern "art" produced by Roman Catholics today. Not only their churches, but also their "sacred" art lacks sacredness.

I have seen modernistic icons done by Vatican II New Order Catholics that are blasphemous. For example, Robert Lentz, O.F.M. has written icons of people who are not saints. See his icons of Christ. :ohvey: http://robertlentz.com/

The OCA New Skete, which converted from Novus Ordo Catholicism, has been infected with modernism too. For example, their "nuns" do not even wear a veil, and their chapel contains an icon of Francis of Assisi.

In general I would agree. However, in regards to that specific cross, that's just a basic two-bar cross that should not be criticized.

What about the shin? This wasn't a Christian symbol.

NotChrysostomYet
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

Re: Modernism in the RCC & WO vs. Traditionalism in TOCs

Post by NotChrysostomYet »

Justice wrote:
NotChrysostomYet wrote:
Maria wrote:

I think Barbara is rightfully upset with all the horrific modern "art" produced by Roman Catholics today. Not only their churches, but also their "sacred" art lacks sacredness.

I have seen modernistic icons done by Vatican II New Order Catholics that are blasphemous. For example, Robert Lentz, O.F.M. has written icons of people who are not saints. See his icons of Christ. :ohvey: http://robertlentz.com/

The OCA New Skete, which converted from Novus Ordo Catholicism, has been infected with modernism too. For example, their "nuns" do not even wear a veil, and their chapel contains an icon of Francis of Assisi.

In general I would agree. However, in regards to that specific cross, that's just a basic two-bar cross that should not be criticized.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Are you talking about the dove? It's not my thing, personally, but there's nothing inherently wrong with it. But I was specifically referring to Barbra's criticism of the two-barred cross.

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

NotChrysostomYet wrote:
Justice wrote:
NotChrysostomYet wrote:

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Are you talking about the dove? It's not my thing, personally, but there's nothing inherently wrong with it. But I was specifically referring to Barbra's criticism of the two-barred cross.

I'm talking about the picture above the cross.

The shin, unlike the cross, has never been used in Christian iconography.

NotChrysostomYet

Justice wrote:
NotChrysostomYet wrote:
Justice wrote:

I'm talking about the picture above the cross. The shin, unlike the cross, has never been used in Christian iconography.

A simple Google Images search for "Holy Spirit iconography" will prove you wrong. Yes, that is a more minimalist take and not my cup of tea, but to say that it has never been used in Christian iconography is a statement easily proven false.

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

NotChrysostomYet wrote:
Justice wrote:
NotChrysostomYet wrote:

I'm talking about the picture above the cross. The shin, unlike the cross, has never been used in Christian iconography.

A simple Google Images search for "Holy Spirit iconography" will prove you wrong. Yes, that is a more minimalist take and not my cup of tea, but to say that it has never been used in Christian iconography is a statement easily proven false.

I couldn’t find anything, even using your exact words.

NotChrysostomYet

Justice wrote:
NotChrysostomYet wrote:
Justice wrote:

I couldn’t find anything, even using your exact words.

There's plenty more where those came from (and all of these came from the "Holy Spirit iconography" Google Images search, for what it's worth). And there's even more than that if we want to include images where the dove is not in the descending angle.

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

Where is the shin? I'm sorry but I don't see it on any of these icons.