Our Saints Rest with the victims of 9-11

An online Synaxaristes including martyrologies and hagiographies of the lives of the Orthodox Church's saints. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Reader Mark

Our Saints Rest with the victims of 9-11

Post by Reader Mark »

I'm sure that with the upcoming anniversary coming tomorrow there will be a spike in coverage past and present. What I didn't know was that the Greek Orthodox Church(St.Nicholas) at the base of the WTC contained an ossuary of relics of Sts.Nicholas (myrra and lycia)Catherine, and Sava.This ossuary was never recovered. So it deigned God that His chosen Ones also reside with the victims of that horrific day. Also being an old-calanderist(ROCOR) this church was one of the remaining old cal. in thre Greek Archdiocese. Had the priest had services it would have been the Nativity of the Baptist. Fortunately there was but one lady cleaning inside when the First plane hit, she ran 2 miles over the bridge and to Brooklyn. Pray for our orthodox and all vicitms of this tragedy. May God HELP US ALL.

Reader Mark

TomS
Protoposter

Frontline: Faith and Doubt at Ground Zero

Post by TomS »

Tonight on PBS. Wonder if this will be worth watching?

Frontline

Faith and Doubt at Ground Zero
120 mins.

“Where was God on Sept. 11?” Narrator Kathryn Walker poses that question (which is reflected on by some 30 observers) in this elegiac documentary, which also probes the nature of evil and of religion.

Speakers range from academics and members of the clergy to survivors of the World Trade Center attacks and relatives of victims. Many are believers who found their faith to be a comfort following the attacks, but others feel otherwise (“I feel so abandoned,” says writer Marian Fontana, a firefighter's widow). Ultimately, there are few pat answers. After all, as Rabbi Brad Hirschfeld puts it, “religion drove those planes into those buildings.” Produced by Helen Whitney.

Category: News, Documentary

Release Year: 2002

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."

Logos

Where was God on that day?

Post by Logos »

I don' think the show will be edifying. Really, no one is going to have an answer. I think the show will be a bunch of PC WCC watered down Christianity.

My soul is lonely dark and afraid.

TomS
Protoposter

Show

Post by TomS »

I am expecting it to be a bunch of drivel. I mean, it IS on PBS!

They will probably spend 30 minutes with Islamic apologetics.

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."

Gregory2

Post by Gregory2 »

Mark,
You're right. The Saints do rest with the victims of 9/11, literally and figuratively. Unfortunately, 2 years ago, I lived in a very rural area and wasn't able to attend an Orthodox worship that day.

Memory eternal! Aiwnia i mnimi!