On John (Maximovitch) of San Francisco and the ROCOR

This forum is for polite discussions among the various True Orthodox Christians. Only confirmed members of TOC jurisdictions are permitted. However, TOC inquirers and catechumen may be admitted at the administrator's discretion. Private discussions should take place in DM's or via email. Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

Lydia
Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ex-HOCNA and searching

Re: On John (Maximovitch) of San Francisco and the ROCOR

Post by Lydia »

Barbara wrote:

What does "Evgraf" mean? At first glance, I thought it meant "Count". But I see 2 of them in Bp Kovalevsky's former name.

I have to catch up here, very interesting thread. I am only appearing at the tail end for the moment til I read carefully the rest.

I didn't know that, Jean-Serge, that the - French Orthodox Church, was it ? Or a previous group Kovalevsky headed ? -
that was on the Western Calendar - even for Pascha when part of Rocor ? That's very unusual
But that WOULD explain earlier remarks in this forum on other threads about Rocor's Bishops on the New Calendar.
I couldnt think of any Bishops, myself. Forgot about this chapter in Rocor's history.

I think Evgraf is a proper name. His name is Evgraf, son of Evgraf, Kovalevsky. It's actually a name I've only heard of from Dr. Zhivago.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: On John (Maximovitch) of San Francisco and the ROCOR

Post by Barbara »

Thanks for the explanation, Lydia !

Will read over the rest of this thread soon, God Willing.