ancient faith radio site

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

liefern

ancient faith radio site

Post by liefern »

Hi,

No matter how hard I try, I can't listen to their material (ancient faith radio). Why is that? I apologize for being cryptic but I wonder what you think first.

Now originally, there was a time when I could listen to their material. I am not quite sure how to interpret my reluctance now. I look forward to your input.

searn77
Jr Member
Faith: Orthodox Old Calendarist
Jurisdiction: Metropolia of Americas & Brit. Isles

Re: ancient faith radio site

Post by searn77 »

I find Fr Thomas Hopko's podcasts quite enlightening. And there has been a couple of specials about St John Maximovitch and Fr Seraphim Rose that I enjoyed too. Other than those, I can't say that I listen to much of the other stuff.

Troparion of St. Philaret of New York
Let us the faithful now come together to praise our father, protector and teacher the pillar of the Orthodox faith and firm defender of piety even the wondrous hierarch Philaret and let us glorify our Saviour Who has granted us his incorrupt relics as a manifest sign of his sanctity.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

liefern wrote:

Hi,

No matter how hard I try, I can't listen to their material (ancient faith radio). Why is that? I apologize for being cryptic but I wonder what you think first.

Now originally, there was a time when I could listen to their material. I am not quite sure how to interpret my reluctance now. I look forward to your input.

I think you might be seeing the influence that the Antiochian Orthodox Church has on Ancient Faith Radio (AFR). They allow women to give homilies and do the Epistle readings. Some of these homilies and readings have made their way onto Ancient Faith Radio. Personally, I would prefer to hear ordained Deacons and Priests deliver the homilies.

I admit, that I favor men's voices, and only those without affectations, so several recordings with female voices upset my quietude. For example, a couple of female chanters do not sing in their proper register, thus they are straining their voices. As I was trained in speech-language pathology, when I detect this, my own chords hurt. Then a few sopranos heard in choir selections seem to be screeching when they produce the initial note of the hymn. This is much like hearing fingernails scraping the black board. Perhaps it would be best if these recordings were not played.

Nevertheless, AFR has presented some excellent chant recordings apparently produced by True Orthodox jurisdictions who sing the selections from the Canon to the Theotokos (Paracleisis), the Akathist Hymn, and other holy hymns.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

liefern

Post by liefern »

Arg, sorry for posting this to the wrong area. I didn't think of looking for another section.

What do you think of this video presentation about St. Macrina?

http://www.ancientfaith.com/video/siste ... t._macrina

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

liefern wrote:

Arg, sorry for posting this to the wrong area. I didn't think of looking for another section.

What do you think of this video presentation about St. Macrina?

http://www.ancientfaith.com/video/siste ... t._macrina

I do not like this series.
I do not like it one bit. ...

It is too dissipative. We are all to be sober and watchful and avoid logismoi (thoughts that are not of God).

This does not mean that we are to squash our sense of humor, but using our imagination to stir up thoughts that distract us from God is missing the mark.

I think we all have experienced humorous episodes or natural distractions in church. And at such times, it may be difficult to come back to the reality of the moment that Christ is present in the Holy Eucharist. For example, I can remember the time that a bird flew into church and the ushers tried in vain to capture it, but it only became more agitated and squawked all the louder causing the children to laugh in delight and scream, which distracted the bird into a frenzy. Finally, someone had a brilliant idea. Since it was overcast, they suggested turning off all the lights, having a moment of silence, and opening the side door. It worked. The sun began to shine, the bird flew outside into freedom, and we resumed our Divine Liturgy without any further incidents.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Amusing incident, Maria. Yes, everyone here has experienced such distractions, probably. It IS disconcerting.
Your comments about the women's voices were excellent. I hope Ancient faith raid has an ear here and takes
to heart the recommendation of yours [ and mine, too ] to cease these irritating recordings !

But in honesty, I must say that I have not myself heard them. Why ? Because like liefern, I have a bad feeling about
that station. I always ignore any mentions of them, feeling no interest whatsoever to listen in.

I knew it was Antiochian-backed, so I assumed it was going to be "pseudo". I am not surprised about
the women's Epistle readings, etc. I get nauseated hearing women trying to push themselves into the roles of men in the Church.

Thus, wild horses couldn't make me start tuning in. It's about the last thing I would think of doing even if had nothing at all with which to fill my time.
I would assume any presentation of St John Maximovitch would be
tainted. Or at the least, not presented well. Why would I need to go to them rather than pick up "Blessed John the Wonderworker" chock full of useful information. The Rocor-MP has a recent issue of their Western American diocesan magazine out about him, too, which contains newly discovered letters between St John and his parents, Boris and Glafira, when they lived as emigres in Venezuela. THAT is unique and worthwhile. Whereas some bland, over-baked Afr presentation would be a waste of time for listeners except perhaps first time arrivals to Orthodoxy.

I see the fact that liefern is feeling these days like not listening to this station as revealing his sharpening discernment.