Do You Chant Your Prayer Rule?

Discussions of the prayer services of the Church. Prayer requests. Please pray for all who post here. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Do you chant or say your prayers?

Chant!

31%

Say them!

23%

A little of both...

38%

Huh?

8%

Total votes: 13

Justin Kissel

Do You Chant Your Prayer Rule?

Post by Justin Kissel »

Like the title says, do you chant your prayer rule, or just "say" it? I've read that you are suppose to chant it, but to be quite honest we usually just say it. Should we do all chanting?

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

According to my priest's comments of praying at http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/StNicholas/faqs.html he says, "If you are reading them by yourself and not with your family, you may read them silently. If you read them out loud, it is best to read them as they are read in church, that is in chant, but not to an exaggerated degree." i.e. plainchant.

user_148

Post by user_148 »

This is my first post on this board. I chant my prayers. I find it much easier to concentrate and focus on the words when I chant them rather than read them.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Welcome!

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Welcome aboard Katherine! Hope you enjoy our little forum for traditional Orthodoxy!

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Welcome, Katherine :)

I must admit that things are the opposite for me. When I say prayers I can pay attention, but when I chant (or hear chanting for that matter) I sometimes "zone out," no matter how hard I try not to. Perhaps it's just the devil trying to keep me from going "further up and further in," and to settle for what I already do.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

For the person who voted "huh?" the above link might be a good place to look. Apparently, we are suppose to chant (not just say) our prayers.