Discussion and criticism of GOC-K & SiR Union

Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

Isaakos
Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin- Discerning the GOC’s.

Re: Discussion and criticism of GOC-K & SiR Union

Post by Isaakos »

Another good document condemning ecumenism as a heresy and describing how it, as a heresy, separates members from the true church and apostolic succession. By the Current Metropolitan Cyprian of Oropos and Phyle.

http://www.hsir.org/pdfs/2014/07/13/E20 ... 9-6-14.pdf

Excerpt:

"... ecumenism constitutes one of the contemporary expressions of the “Mystery of Iniquity.”
Orthodox Patristic teaching has always made a distinction between, firstly, the Apostolicity of teaching and secondly, the Apostolicity of succession and Consecration [the Ordination of Bishops].
However, although a distinction is made between teaching and succession, they are indivisibly united, such that Apostolic teaching, on the one hand, is the basis of Apostolic succession, while canonical Consecration is, on the other hand, that external hallmark that ensures unity with the Church founded by the Apostles.
In other words, Apostolicity of teaching makes the Church the mouthpiece of Christ and the Apostles, whereas Apostolicity of succession and Consecration is that which binds the Minister of the Mysteries to Christ and the Apostles.
Thus, the Apostolicity of the Church is sundered and destroyed when Apostolic teaching alone or Apostolic succession alone is abrogated, and
especially so when both are abrogated.
The Apostolicity of the Church connects the Body of Christ with
the Source of Grace, with the very Upper Room of Pentecost: by way of canonical Orthodox Ministers in communion with the Church, the members of the Church drink from the Source of truth and life and are Christified through the Mysteries.
Apostolicity cut off from the Source of truth and life is devoid of ecclesiastical content, is spurious, is not Churchly, and has fallen away from communion with Christ the Savior, the first and greatest “Apostle,”15 and from communion with the “twelve Apostles of the Lamb.”16

“What exactly are you here for?”

“…To see with eyes unclouded by hate.”

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

Cyprianists never denied ecumenism was a heresy... even in the time of their 100% cyprianist doctrine.

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Isaakos
Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin- Discerning the GOC’s.

Post by Isaakos »

Cyprianism does not exist. I know of ecumenism applied by various groups, one if which has renounced its former usage.

“What exactly are you here for?”

“…To see with eyes unclouded by hate.”

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Jean-Serge wrote:

Cyprianists never denied ecumenism was a heresy... even in the time of their 100% cyprianist doctrine.

We should rejoice that this bishop has issued a clearly worded document which exposes Ecumenism as one of those "Mysteries of Iniquity." The devil and his works need to be exposed to the light of day.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

There had already been many good denunciations of ecumenism by several people in the past years; so I don't see where is the novelty in this text, neither in which extent it is exceptionally good compared to other condemnations... By the way, I don't see the link between the text and Discussion and criticism of GOC-K & SiR Union. I would have put it in Theology and Tradition section.

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Jean-Serge wrote:

There had already been many good denunciations of ecumenism by several people in the past years; so I don't see where is the novelty in this text, neither in which extent it is exceptionally good compared to other condemnations... By the way, I don't see the link between the text and Discussion and criticism of GOC-K & SiR Union. I would have put it in Theology and Tradition section.

It was the Ecclesiological Document (EC) that really started this discussion and criticism, specifically Section VI.

This new document written by Met. Cyprian: The Ecclesiocidal Heresy of Ecumenism Is Laying Waste to the Apostolicity of the Church (EH) is along the same lines in that it also condemns Ecumenism and Sergianism, but most importantly, it goes further and mentions St. Paul and St. Philaret of the ROCOR. Furthermore, it is current in that it mentions tears of repentance which resulted in this reunion. Evidently, the laity were not privileged to see these tears and to realize the extent of the heart felt gratitude of these SiR bishops who journeyed many miles and years to see this reunion.

Here are some very pregnant excerpts that are even stronger than those in the initial EC or revised EC document, and are far stronger than the verbiage used by Met. Chrysostomos. Might this document be addressing some of Met. Chyrsostomos' points in his Feb. 2014 email encyclical to his Etna flock?

From Section I: Notice the mention of tears of self-reproach and repentance. Does this answer your question, Jean-Serge? I think Met. Cyprian is attempting to show that at least he is repentant and grateful for this GOC-K/SiR union.

• Yea, for all of these reasons, since times of old, in our day, and yet at this very moment, we crown the memory and the Icon of the Holy Apostle Paul with sweet-smelling flowers of thanksgiving and glorification; with the noetic fragrance of faith, hope, and love; and, as well, with tears of self-reproach and repentance, in that we have not proved ourselves worthy of these heavenly gifts.

From Section 2: Notice the word: Apostolicity. Syncreticism attacks one of the pillars of the very foundation of our Church, Apostolicity, as Christ called and ordained His chosen Twelve, who successively ordained bishops to govern the Holy Church. This Mystery of Iniquity would like to destroy the Church's very foundation if possible.

• This fourth attribute of the Church, [Apostolicity] which is indissolubly conjoined with Her Oneness, Holiness, and Catholicity, is under unremitting and open attack in our day from the “ecclesiocidal” heresy of ecumenism.

The reference made by the Holy Apostle Paul to the “foundation of the Apostles and Prophets” (5) is of the utmost significance today, since both the Prophets and the Apostles—and, of course, their successors—fought steadfastly against syncretism, that is, the mingling of the Holy Faith with the alien elements of idolatry and heresy; opposed the adulteration of the Truth; condemned the gradual domination of indifference toward the Truth; and bore witness against the annulment of our relationship with the revealed God of truth and salvation.

4 Ephesians 2:19-20.
    5 See note 4.

From Section 2 again: Notice the phrase: Mystery of Iniquity. This phrase is much stronger than the verbiage in the EC.

• Within this perspective, the so-called ecumenical movement, which appeared and evolved, during the past century, with the aim of reuniting divided and fragmented Christianity, is syncretistic in nature and forms part of the working of the “Mystery of Iniquity.”

From Section 2 (once again): The quote by Joannes Karmires sounds like it was almost copied verbatim from the documents of Vatican II where the Roman Catholic Church asserts that all Christian Churches (Orthodox and Protestant) are part of Christ's Church whether they choose to accept this fact or not.

• It was only to be expected that this outright ecclesiological syncretism, which operates within the boundaries of Christianity, would also enter into the domain of other religions in the form of interfaith syncretism, ultimately, indeed, to be set forth by the Orthodox ecumenists as follows:

• The Orthodox Church acknowledges the existence of a Church in the broadest sense, or rather of churches outside the true Orthodox Church (ecclesia extra ecclesiam [church(es) outside the Church]), and also of Christians outside Her walls and boundaries (extra muros [outside the walls]), to which the all-powerful saving Grace of God extends unimpeded. (14)

14 Ioannes Karmires, “Ἡ σωτηρία τῶν ἐκτὸς τῆς Ἐκκλησίας ἀνθρώπων τοῦ Θεοῦ” [The salvation of the people of God outside the Church], Πρακτικὰ Ἀκαδημίας Ἀθηνῶν , Vol. LVI (1981), pp. 401-402.

to be continued

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

προσκυνητής
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC of Greece - Met. Christophoros

Post by προσκυνητής »

Today I received an email quoting a letter that Met. Chrysostomos of Etna wrote to his flock for the Feast of Sts. Peter and Paul. In the letter he says of the ecclesiological statement that he would never have attached his name "to a document saying that 'New Calendarists and Ecumenists are heretics, are outside the Church, and as such, are without mysteriological Grace.'"

Perhaps someone can scan a copy of the letter and post it.

Romanos
Florida, USA

The content of any of my posts is strictly my own opinion and not the official position of St. Menas Greek Orthodox Chapel, the GOC of Greece, nor any of her clergy.