Saturday/Sunday after Theophany - Sermons by Met. Moses 2014

Reading from the Old Testament, Holy Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation, our priests' and bishops' sermons, and commentary by the Church Fathers. All Forum Rules apply.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Saturday/Sunday after Theophany - Sermons by Met. Moses 2014

Post by Maria »

Saturday after Theophany - Sermon sent by email

• A Brief Sermon on the Gospel for the Saturday after Theophany

By Metropolitan Moses

In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Brothers and Sisters in Christ, we have been basking in the light of the Feast of Lights, the Holy Theophany, God made manifest. And we learned from the Scriptures and the writings of the Holy Fathers and the hymns of the Church that our Savior came, not to be anointed, for He is the Beginningless Word, Begotten of the Father before all ages. He is the Christ, the Anointed One by nature and He came unto the Jordan to “sanctify the waters,” as the hymns of the Church teach us.

At Theophany the “worship of the Trinity was made manifest” as we chant in the Apolytikion for the feast. Yet, I ask you to focus on one other aspect of this feast. Our Savior came unto Saint John to be baptized and, as it says in the Gospel, “John hindered Him, saying, I have need to be baptized of Thee, and comest Thou to me?” (Matt 3:14) And our Savior constrained him to do this “to fulfill all righteousness,” and when He was baptized He opened a new way for us into heaven.

In the very next chapter of the Gospel of Saint Matthew, which is read on the Saturday after the Feast of Theophany, it is written that our Savior continued in His labor to “fulfill all righteousness,” and was led up of the Spirit into the wilderness. (Matt 4:1)

The God-Man, Jesus Christ, withdrew, not because He needed to withdraw, but so as to be a model for us all. He withdrew from the things of the world and used this time to wrestle with the devil. This type of wrestling is a part of every Christian’s life. By His Divine Nature, our Savior could not sin, just as fire by nature cannot be cold, yet He withdrew to wrestle with the evil one and triumph over his deceptions and the irrational passions.

We all know of many examples from the lives of the monastic saints who followed this pattern and withdrew from the things of the world to purify themselves. I would like you to consider that there is a way for a layperson to withdraw from the things of the world to be purified on a regular basis. When you leave your workplace or home and you, with knowledge and attentiveness, attend you local parish and you prepare yourself and withdraw your mind from the things of the world on your way to Church and you give your mind and heart to our Savior, you will be strengthened to overcome the wiles of the devil and the passions.

Saint Isaac the Syrian once explained that the most effective way to separate oneself from the things of the world is to practices compunction, that gladdening sorrow of heart that is filled with regret for sins, along with hope and grateful love towards our Savior. There is a short prayer attributed to Saint Makarios the Great, that can be very helpful in attaining to compunction at the start of one’s prayers in Church. Begin by withdrawing mentally from everything else in the world and say with your whole heart:

O God, cleanse me a sinner, for I have done nothing good before Thee. Deliver me from the evil one, and may Thy will be in me, that I might open my unworthy lips without condemnation, and praise Thy holy name of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen.

I ask you all to think about these things and strive to make a good beginning to your prayer when you arrive at Church and, unless there is a necessity, save your socializing for when we gather for fellowship after the service.

May God bless you and your families and may you all learn to wrestle with the evil one and acquire spiritual discretion and make progress in the things of God. Amen.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon

Re: Sunday after Theophany - A sermon by Met. Moses 2014

Post by Maria »

Sunday after Theophany - sermon sent by email

• A Sermon on the Sunday after Theophany 2014
    By Metropolitan Moses

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

Beloved Christians,

Today is the Sunday after the Feast of Lights, Holy Theophany, and in today’s Gospel reading we see our Savior begin His public ministry, as it “…was spoken by Esaias the Prophet, saying, The land of Zabulon, and the land of Nephthalim, by the way of the sea, beyond the Jordan, Galilee of the nations; The people which sat in darkness saw a great light; and to them which sat in the land and shadow of death a light is risen.” (Matt 4:25-16)

Thus the light of Christ shone forth resplendently in the midst of Galilee of the nations, a people heretofore under the sway of pagan gloom and shadow. And when our Savior began to preach He proclaimed, “Repent: for the Kingdom of the Heavens is at hand.”(Matt 4:17)

Thus, our salvation begins repentance, that is, it begins with a turning away from ungodliness to godliness. Our Savior appeared in the midst of men, and He has revealed to us His teachings concerning how we should live and what we should believe. The Divine Light of the God-Man shone forth and the distinction between truth and falsehood, and virtue and vice has been clarified. We can either choose to strive to come to the knowledge of the Kingdom or we can choose to simply turn away out of laziness and indifference. We have been given the fearful gift of free will and it is our choice determines our eternal state.

Our Savior once explained to those present, “The Kingdom of God cometh not with observation: Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold the Kingdom of God is within you.” (Luke 17:20-21) The Kingdom is within and those who seek it must live a life of interior vigilance and self-awareness.

The Holy Fathers have taught the progression of the spiritual life: faith, fear, repentance and love. We hear the word of God and come to knowledge of spiritual reality, which gives birth to the fear for our salvation. Fear brings forth repentance, and all of the spiritual works that go along with it, reading Scripture and spiritual texts, prayer and showing mercy for the sake of God. From the labors of repentance, spiritual perception is born in the soul.

Repentance is not limited to the bitterness of continually saying no to the passions. Repentance is an effort to commune with God, of continually directing one’s thoughts and longing towards God. As the Prophet David wrote, “I beheld the Lord ever before me, for He is at my right hand, that I may not be shaken.” (Psalm 15)

In his 46th Homily, Saint Isaac the Syrian explains some profound truths regarding the working of our salvation and the importance of repentance for all those who have been baptized:

Repentance is given to man as grace after grace, for repentance is a second regeneration by God. That of which we have received an earnest by baptism, we receive as a gift by means of repentance. Repentance is the door of mercy, opened to those who seek it. By way of this door we enter into the mercy of God, and apart from this entrance we shall not find mercy. ‘For all have sinned,’ according to divine Scripture, ‘being justified freely by His grace.’ (1Rom. 3:23-24) Repentance is the second grace and is begotten in the heart by faith and fear. Fear is the paternal rod that guides our way until we reach the spiritual paradise of good things. When we have attained thereto, it leaves us and turns back.

The only true path to a deep and abiding love of God, is repentance. “Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand.” Amen.

Maria
Archon

Re: Saturday/Sunday after Theophany - Sermons by Met. Moses

Post by Maria »

I have posted this photo so that you, the readers, can see a picture of Metropolitan Moses.

Metropolitan Moses with Metropolitans Gerontios and Chrysostomos and Bishop Photios at the traditional cutting of the "Vasilopita" in Greece. Bishop Photios is in the first row, far left. Metropolitan Moses is the tallest prelate in the picture: front row, seated next to Bishop Photius.

Met. Moses also stayed in Greece for the Theophany services and procession to the harbor where they blessed the waters.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Saturday/Sunday after Theophany - Sermons by Met. Moses

Post by Barbara »

Appreciate seeing the pic, Maria. It helps to see the actual hierarch and hierarchs {Bp Photios} who write sermons
and thoughtful essays often.