How long is your trip to Church?

Information, news stories, and questions about True Traditionalist Orthodox Churches. This is the place to post encyclicals and any official public communications from True Orthodox jurisdictions.

Moderator: Mark Templet

bogoliubtsy
Sr Member

How long is your trip to Church?

Post by bogoliubtsy »

I'm curious to know how much time the people on this board spend treking to Church. Right now(although I'm moving this weekend and things will change) my Church is about 1 mile from my home. Walking takes about 15 minutes.
Are there churches near you that are much closer than the one you attend?

rebecca

Post by rebecca »

My church is about half an hour away. There's a closer one (Greek) that's about 15 minutes away.

In investigating options for building/moving to a new church, our parish briefly considered buying a building within walking distance of my home! But alas, the 150 year old stone & brick church was WAY too expensive. :(

Liudmilla
Sr Member

Post by Liudmilla »

My church is a good 45 minute to an hour drive (on Sundays.... longer during the week in rush hour traffic) from where I live. I have been making this trip for 30+ years. It makes for a good nap if you don't have to drive. It also means that you get up early, even earlier during the summer, to get to church on time. To my father that meant before the service started not after it started...otherwise, you were late. :lol: :ohvey: :mrgreen:

In a pinch there is an OCA church about 20 minutes away, but I don't usually avail myself. :P

ania

Post by ania »

Geez... walk, cab, or bus, to the metro, then the train, then cab or bus again... could take anywhere between 45 minutes & hour & 1/2. Get a lot of reading done. Sad thing is, driving it takes 20 minutes to get there. I miss my car. :cry:
Ania

David1

Post by David1 »

Since I moved four months ago, it now takes 7-8 minutes on the toll highway. Before that nearly an hour.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Just a short jaunt

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

20-25 minutes down the state highway. There is a large OCA church just on the other side of my block and in Stratford I pass an iconostas-less ACROD church and the all-Slavonic ROCOR church on my way there.

Gregory2

Post by Gregory2 »

growing up, always a 40 minute drive.

Now, 20 minutes, possibly 30 in traffic. Here in the Northwest, we don't have nearly the Orthodox church selection that you in the Northeast have!