Ethics: Organ Transplantation and Donation

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Ethics: Organ Transplantation and Donation

Post by Maria »

• Monday, 26 August 2013 13:30

In Athens, July 16/29, 2013

Protocol n. γ-1776

Communiqué on Organ Transplantation and Donation

To all the Clergy and Laity throughout the Nation

Beloved children of the Church of Christ,

The Holy Synod of the Church of the Genuine Orthodox Christians during its session on June 7/20 2013, having investigated assiduously the question of “brain death,” organ transplantation, and “presumed consent,” ruled the following:

1. “Brain death” is an arbitrary term. Death is the definitive cessation of cardiopulmonary function. What is called “brain death” is in essence a condition of grave illness. The harvesting of vital organs from a gravely ill patient accelerates his death and, from an ethical point of view, is murder.

2. Therefore, the extirpation of vital organs for the purpose of transplantation is forbidden. Only the extirpation and transplantation of non-vital organs is permitted, provided that such extirpation will not cause the death of the donor (i.e. the donation of one kidney).

3. What is called “presumed consent” (i.e. the automatic presumption that all are organ donors, with the exception of declared non-donors ) is deemed ethically unacceptable as well. Since, however, such a law has been legislatively approved, all the Faithful are called to declare themselves non-donors according to the attached example [1], of which the Parish Councils are instructed to provide copies to be distributed at each parish's candle desk. Please note that a deadline has not been placed for such declarations.

To inform the flock, the Holy Synod has decided to organize two theological conferences on the matter at hand in Athens and Larisa, on September 10/23 2013 and September 18/October 1, 2013 respectively. The locations will be announced.

At the command of the Holy Synod

+PHOTIOS of Marathon

Chief-Secretary of the Synod

http://hotca.org/eparchial-synod/announ ... d-donation

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Ethics: Organ Transplantation and Donation

Post by Barbara »

A horrible subject, but so much under examination these days.
I shudder to even think about anything to do with this.

I would never think of donating anything to "science". Never, never, never !

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Since our bodies have been purified, sanctified, and illuminated through reception of the Holy Mysteries, it behoves us not to allow our organs to be donated if we are in danger of death or allow our bodies to be cremated.

There was a news article I recently read, but I cannot remember where at this time. Some strange things have occurred to some people who have received a major body organ from a live or near dead donor. It seems that their thought processes are altered, so that if a murderer donated his organ, the recipient might get angry and have hostile thoughts. In one case, the donor loved music, but the recipient was not musically inclined. After a few weeks, the recipient yearned to play a particular musical instrument, the same instrument that the deceased had played. This begs the question. Does some memory remain in the donated organ? Yes, it does sound like New Age.

However, the Church is wise to caution against the donation or the reception of organs from others, especially if a person is declared "brain dead."

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

Just to be clear, the GOC Synod has decided that one may donate non-vital organs. For example, if you donate one of your kidneys, this does not (usually) threaten your own life.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Interesting indeed, Maria !
I don't doubt that at all.

I think also, that what is the point, if God has arranged for one to have some problem, then
there is no use in trying to circumvent one's fate. This band-aid approach - AT BEST -
is childish. It smacks of the omnipotence felt by scientists to monkey around with the human body.
I just don't believe in any of it.

I saw a sign somewhere about it today while out, so I was reminded to look at this thread for updates.

Perhaps the GOC Synod made that choice because they fear being branded as "behind the times" or
"antiquated" in rejecting such surgical processes.
But no one HAS to participate ; they are allowed to IF they want.

Myself, I think it's better to let things alone.

After all, God can cure the most awful stuff, IF it is His Holy Will to do so.

That absolutely is weird about the memory in the cells, something to think about !

Lydia
Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ex-HOCNA and searching

Post by Lydia »

I'm surprised that the GOC allows any transplantation at all. Barbara is right; just leave things alone.
If they allow the transplanting of organs that will not cause the death of the donor, does that mean they sanction the woman who donated her uterus to her barren daughter so she could give birth?
What a world!