How to address Protestant Clergy

Discuss Religious, Moral and Ethical topics that are offtopic to other forums and that are within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste, i.e., no pictures or videos of killings. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All rules apply. No promotion of Non-Orthodox-Christian beliefs. No baiting, flaming, or ad hominems. No polemics.
StephenS
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Not attached presently

Post by StephenS »

Just be careful in commenting about heterodox clergy. I have a young friend who is nominally Catholic but sometimes attends Anglican happy clappy services. Having heard me on numerous occasion refer to the local team vicar as a 'priestess' my friend only addressed the good lady in innocence as 'priestess'. Needless to say this went down like a lead balloon. But I confess to not having a clue as to how these 'priestesses' would like or expect be addressed. Still I won't lose any sleep over it, just avoid the need to chat.

Matthew
Protoposter

Re: How to address Clergy

Post by Matthew »

Maybe "Reverend"? or maybe "Pastor"? But frankly I would have a serious problem saying anything more than perhaps a first name or "Mizz or Missus Surname" basis.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

FACT: The Rt Rev Barbara Darling of Melbourne is an Australian Anglican female bishop.

http://www.melbourne.anglican.com.au/Wh ... rling.aspx

Would I ever belong to the Anglican Church? No. The Anglican Church has been in schism and has engaged in heresy since it's inception under the murderous King Henry VII. In fact, the Anglican Church split from Rome which has been in schism with the Holy Orthodox Church officially since 1054 A.D.

However, if I had the unfortunate obligation to meet Bishop Darling in person at an official event or had to write her a letter, I would address her in person as "Bishop Barbara" or use "The Right Reverend Bishop Darling" when addressing her in a letter. I try to avoid any such embarrassing situations.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I could not address a woman as "Bishop Barbara", no matter what happened.
Neither even a woman "minister" as Pastor such and such. No way.

You meant Henry VIII, and YES !

Maria
Archon

How to address Protestant clergy

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

I could not address a woman as "Bishop Barbara", no matter what happened.
Neither even a woman "minister" as Pastor such and such. No way.

You meant Henry VIII, and YES !

Thank you, yes, I meant to write King Henry VIII.

The way to avoid addressing a female as "Bishop Barbara" is to use avoidance, but on this board, we need to be consistent in addressing all RELIGIOUS figures with their proper titles. Otherwise, as Jonathan reminds us, certain jurisdictions who consider themselves to be part of True Orthodoxy will address our own bishops as "Mr." and that would really upset a lot of people, guests as well as members. This board has tried that experiment in the past, and that experiment almost destroyed this forum.

Nevertheless, we can and should mention that these so-called religious figures are not part of True Orthodoxy, that they are misleading their flocks, and although we are not to judge others, that they will be held accountable by Christ our Lord and God, as we all will. Lord have mercy.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Christ has instructed us to "render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, but to God the things that are God's."

When we use the proper titles for religious and political authorities, we are obeying Christ and showing respect for authority. However, if we were told to bow down and worship a political or religious authority, or if we were told to address the Anti-Christ as "God" and worship him, then we should not comply even if we must face martyrdom, since only our Lord God is due honor, worship, and glory for ever and to the ages of ages. Amen.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

I understand your arguments why you feel we should call this Anglican woman by honourific titles accorded her in her own religion. However, I cannot bring myself to do that. It goes against my conscience on the matter, and I do not believe that we are rightly expected to render to someone what they have not rightfully received but in fact have stolen contrary to God's Law and the laws of the Church. On this point I cannot agree with you.