EXPLANATION on the Prayer Rope by SERBIAN RTOC

Discussions of the prayer services of the Church. Prayer requests. Please pray for all who post here. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Barbara
Protoposter

Re: EXPLANATION on the Prayer Rope by SERBIAN RTOC

Post by Barbara »

Who was Fr Stefan ?
Is that the username Despotovac who posts STOC news, I notice ?

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

Who was Fr Stefan ?
Is that the username Despotovac who posts STOC news, I notice ?

Yes.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Icxypion wrote:

You should go to his Despotovatz id and send him a personal invitation. Let him know we are all in favour and miss his past greater interaction with us.

Sorry, my mistake for the confusion!

It is DESPOTOVAC

(although despotovatz is how you phonetically say it. :) )

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

jgress wrote:

I find it best to remember that one of the main effects of true prayer is the feeling of consolation. If praying feels burdensome, then you're not doing it right. Just remember that Christ is our Joy and our Hope, and when we call on Him for help, He responds, so long as our heart is open.

In Roman Catholicism, some saints talk about God depriving them of consolation for years, so that they pray out of obedience and love for God, but no longer experience joy, happiness, or consolation. Does this happen to people in Orthodoxy? Or are those without consolation somehow not praying correctly?

Did not St. Siluan of Mt. Athos and St. Seraphim of Sarov experience almost despair at some points?

St. Siluan stated that we should keep our minds in hell (as we are deserving of hell for our sins) and not despair.

St. Seraphim stood outside on a rock day and night in the rain and snow praying constantly for almost a year as he wrestled with demons, depriving himself of sleep. Of course, this deprivation is not recommended for laity.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

Hm, you're right that you don't always have a clear feeling. I guess I mean that in my personal experience, I've often been rather passive, as if I just expected God to fill me with good feelings, without bothering to focus on keeping the meaning of the words of the prayer in my mind. When the feelings wouldn't come, I would get discouraged after a while. But that's precisely the point of the Jesus prayer! You're continually asking for Christ's mercy, and His mercy should be what's in your mind.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Maria wrote:

In Roman Catholicism, some saints talk about God depriving them of consolation for years, so that they pray out of obedience and love for God, but no longer experience joy, happiness, or consolation. Does this happen to people in Orthodoxy? Or are those without consolation somehow not praying correctly?

Did not St. Siluan of Mt. Athos and St. Seraphim of Sarov experience almost despair at some points?

St. Siluan stated that we should keep our minds in hell (as we are deserving of hell for our sins) and not despair.

St. Seraphim stood outside on a rock day and night in the rain and snow praying constantly for almost a year as he wrestled with demons, depriving himself of sleep. Of course, this deprivation is not recommended for laity.

Yes, these are excellent observations to balance the idea of prayer and consolation. But in a way the idea of consolation itself suggests a previous period of discomfort, suffering, or some need not fulfilled that is then, eventually, consoled. Though, the point is very well made.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

jgress wrote:

Hm, you're right that you don't always have a clear feeling. I guess I mean that in my personal experience, I've often been rather passive, as if I just expected God to fill me with good feelings, without bothering to focus on keeping the meaning of the words of the prayer in my mind. When the feelings wouldn't come, I would get discouraged after a while. But that's precisely the point of the Jesus prayer! You're continually asking for Christ's mercy, and His mercy should be what's in your mind.

Yes, that is exactly my experience too, Jonathan. What have you found helps you resolve this, or refocus and remain in the right or most beneficial frame of mind when praying?