Do the Canons Say Nothing About Laymen & Shaving Beards Off?

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Do the Canons Say Nothing About Laymen & Shaving Beards

Post by Maria »

Thanks. Yes, I am a new assistant mod.
http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/vi ... =29&t=9762

I see you found the above thread. :)

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Icxypion wrote:
Maria wrote:

Thanks for posting this. ...The men among the laity are also to not to shave off their facial hair. Is the trimming beards and moustaches allowable for these men?

Yes, Maria, according to Clement of Alexandria, "The moustache which is dirtied in eating is to be trimmed." On the other hand, concerning trimming the edges of the beard, no, according to the Stoglavy and the Old Testament. The edges of the beard are not to be trimmed. The other thread has quotes about trimming as well as this one on the stoglavy sobor.

The councils show us what is praiseworthy and most excellent. I think that the TOC bishops of our time show us by their example of pastoral practice that trimming and even shaving are not something to be bent entirely out of shape about, as they allow shaven men to receive communion, even though the stoglavy sobor forbids such men to even be admitted into a service. I think the hour in which we are living makes the beard issue of non-essential nature. This is not to say that we are not to bother obeying this law of the Church. I only mean that economeia is being practiced in this hour due to the more destructive dangers we are facing and to focus on these more urgent things (to not be an ecumenist or new calendarist) is such a podvig and such a singular act of piety that God overlooks the beard which is lacking since TOC Laymen are already making a great victory of faith in identifying and rejecting the strong delusion of the Antichrist Ecumenist "gods". This is only my attempt to make sense of things, though. So what I have said here is only my best attempt to formulate some reasoned explanation to your question and some of the implications of the present situation in the face of such longstanding and canonical traditions which are largely not being obeyed even among men of the TOC. What I have said here may have detectable errors. For such, if there be any, I ask your forgiveness.

Symeon

Thank goodness economia is being applied.

Priests who work in jobs that require the periodic use of a mask (surgeons, dentists, chemists, welders, lab technicians, police, and firefighters) need to trim their beards so that they can fit into the small facial mask.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

They should design a beard-friendly mask so we can keep our faith pure and still be in honest and life-saving professions.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Icxypion wrote:

They should design a beard-friendly mask so we can keep our faith pure and still be in honest and life-saving professions.

Be careful when wishing for a specially designed mask. Such could resemble what the women wear in Muslim countries, and that would hamper any life-saving skills. :shock:

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

I dont think so. A good design that is both practical, functional and aesthetically pleasing is certainly possible.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Icxypion wrote:

I dont think so. A good design that is both practical, functional and aesthetically pleasing is certainly possible.

Looking at the icon in your profile, Symeon, I do not think that a practical mask would be possible. That is a lot of facial hair.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

The Holy Fathers I have seen on Athos bind their beards up in a simple knot and tuck it up out of the way. It is totally doable.