Patriarch Germanos V Concening the"Name-Worshippers"

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Dionysios
Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Matthewite (ArchBishop Nicholas)

Patriarch Germanos V Concening the"Name-Worshippers"

Post by Dionysios »

Maria wrote:
Archimandrit Nilos wrote:

I think there are "Name-Worshippers" to-day, also among so called "True Orthodox Christians". This is very sad. Who belongs to them ?

You might want to ask this question in the Private Forums as any responses would most likely be polemic in nature.

Since I cannot post in the private forum that I am aware of, I will respectfully answer your question by only stating how I came to what might be a different opinion or belief.

I have always been of the opinion that name worshipping is a heresy. To my menory, I was first told about this by a monk in Karoulia some years ago who had the same opinion which you appear to have, but I did not know much about it until recently.

My priest knew more about it and had a different opinion. He gave me an essay about the history and theology of the issue written by one well informed Nun Kassia who is in the synod of Gregory Lourie. He told me several things which were against what he called onomatoclasm, and I replied that I was of the opposite opinion, but I did not know much about this issue because I had not read much about it.

I told him that when I was new to Orthodoxy and with a synod of Matthewites who had (wrongly) anathematized persons for following true iconography, I was only able to discover the truth by making an effort to objectively hear what both sides had to say and forth both of their arguments equally through the fire. I could only search for the truth about that issue in an atmosphere or mindset of calm and coll headed (i.e. hesychasm) which is what I did. I aquired books by Constantine Cavarnos and Leonid Ouspensky, and Saint John of Damascus, and I found the truth. I told my priest that I did not think he was right, but I would give his side a listen. That has always been my principle.

Well I read the essay by Nun Kassia (Tatiana Senina) who writes well on the subject, and I became convinced that Boulatovich was right, and Khrapovitsky was wrong (on this issue).

Although I would like to say much more about this, I will not say any more here out of respect for the intended non-polemical nature of this category other than to make known where someone can find the other side's perspective if they are interested.

Immediately below is the essay which my priest gave to read and which convinced me that he was actually correct:
http://www.pravoslav.de/imiaslavie/engl ... clasts.htm

Here is the website index from which it comes which has several informative articles about the issue including a full book from 1988 by Tom Dykstra which was his thesis at Saint Vladimir Seminary.
http://www.pravoslav.de/imiaslavie/english/english.htm

Cease, my son, to hear the instruction that causeth thee to stray from the words of knowledge.

Dionysios

Re: Patriarch Germanos V Concening the"Name-Worshippers"

Post by Dionysios »

I would like to add that I was previously unfamiliar with the outstanding website mentioned in Timothy Vargas's signature line:
http://thewonderfulname.blogspot.com/se ... 0Documents

The link goes straight to the website's page of significant ecclesial documents. Bravo zulu to Timothy Vargas for making this information known.

Cease, my son, to hear the instruction that causeth thee to stray from the words of knowledge.

Dionysios

Post by Dionysios »

Does anyone know of Orthodox Christian oriented forums where civilized discussion of Name Glorifying is not banned or discouraged?

I will check out Monachos.net, but I would like to hear if anyone has any information about this.

timothyvargas
Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodox Metropolis of Seattle (H.O.C.N.A.)

Post by timothyvargas »

Let us know if you find out. I like the forums who do not forbid Orthodoxy to be preached/believed.

"Blessed are ye when men shall revile and persecute you and say all manner of evil against you falsely for My sake". http://thewonderfulname.blogspot.com/p/ ... f-god.html

Dionysios

Post by Dionysios »

timothyvargas wrote:

Let us know if you find out. I like the forums who do not forbid Orthodoxy to be preached/believed.

Roger that.
From what I perceive, perhaps the three most likely places to look for such forums would be:

1) Websites associated with Gregory Lourie's synod
2) Websites associated with HOCNA and the Boston Monastery
3) Websites associated with ROAC

I noticed some kindred spirits that posted great stuff on the Notes From the Underground forum although they were going against the grain of that forum which is oriented towards blaspheming the Name of God which violates the third Commandment that says 'Thou shalt not take the Name of the Lord in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh His Name in vain.'

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

ROAC? I thought ROAC opposed name-worshiping and deposed Fr Gregory for that reason.

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

And if you start accusing the Orthodox of blaspheming the Name of God, you will find yourself banned very quickly. You two are walking a very thin line here.