Orthodox Stores: polemical tangent

This forum is for polite discussions among the various True Orthodox Christians. Only confirmed members of TOC jurisdictions are permitted. However, TOC inquirers and catechumen may be admitted at the administrator's discretion. Private discussions should take place in DM's or via email. Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: GOC

Orthodox Stores: polemical tangent

Post by Cyprian »

Greetings StephenDaniel,

I understand your concern, and hope you do not mind if I share a few thoughts.

First of all, I would not worry too much about where you purchase your religious items. Of course, if it all possible, it is better if we are given the opportunity, to support genuine members of the household of God, rather than schismatics and heretics, but you are not bringing sin upon yourself by simply purchasing a useful spiritual book for your own edification, no matter who publishes or distributes it. Recall, God causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain both on the righteous and the unrighteous. Schismatics and heretics have to eat too.

Now, I am not suggesting that you should have any qualms about purchasing religious items from HTM in Brookline. It is your business whom you choose to patronize, and not mine. However, I do want you to be aware of the fact that the leaders of HTM are indeed schismatics and heretics, masquerading as Genuine Orthodox, which is not a private or personal matter, but one that should concern all of us.

As for the so-called "Synod in Resistance," I noticed you added, "which some believe are heretical". I concur with the opinion that they are indeed heretical, and just want to clarify: it appears that you are under the care and protection of the ROAC. The ROAC, in their published minutes of the 2008 Sobor, unambiguously condemn "the unorthodox and crypto-ecumenistic teaching of Metropolitan Cyprian of Oropos." (p.24).

The reason why I bring this to your attention, is because one would think that it should be important to be of one mind with the synod under whose care you have been placed, as you strive to unite yourself to the Church through holy baptism. So one would think that if you are planning to be baptized in the ROAC, you would want to include yourself among those who deem the Synod in Resistance to be heretical. That is after all, what Bishop Andrew reported to the Sobor of bishops.

With love in Christ, our only Hope,

Cyprian

stephendaniel
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROAC - Catechumen

Re: Orthodox Stores: polemical tangent

Post by stephendaniel »

Hello Cyprian,

Thank you for your concern and your insight. I believe you are right about being of one mind with my synod. It is something I will seek to amend within myself.

Perhaps this belongs in another post, but what is the story with HTM? I've gathered various bits of information but have yet to acquire the full story.

Thank you so much.

Asking for your prayers,
Stephen

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

Cyprian is not a member of the True Orthodox Church, so he does not have permission to post here. I have given him permission to read the posts on this forum.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

stephendaniel wrote:

Hello Cyprian,

Thank you for your concern and your insight. I believe you are right about being of one mind with my synod. It is something I will seek to amend within myself.

Perhaps this belongs in another post, but what is the story with HTM? I've gathered various bits of information but have yet to acquire the full story.

Thank you so much.

Asking for your prayers,
Stephen

Dear Stephen,

Since 1995, my husband and I had been inquiring into HOCNA, but HOCNA's sudden separation from ROCOR without any apparently justifiable reason made us hesitate to take any action. With the recent transfer of two HOCNA bishops (Metropolitan Moses and Bishop Sergius) and almost all Canadian parishes to the Genuine Church of Greece (HOTCA eparchy), we contacted Metropolitan Moses and joined his diocese.

Why did HOCNA refuse to join GOC and the HOTCA eparchy when they were given that opportunity in the last couple of years?

Regarding the Name Worshipping Heresy: why didn't HOCNA agree with the 1913 Epistle of Ecumenical Patriarch Germanos V and likewise condemn that heresy? Please see the link below for the full text:
http://www.orthodoxmetropolisportland.o ... nos_v.html

The people and clergy of HTM and HOCNA really need our prayers. This is a stressful and unsettling time as godparents and relatives now find themselves separated in the Holy Faith.

In the Risen Christ,
Maria

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.