Prayer Request for a Friend

Discussions of the prayer services of the Church. Prayer requests. Please pray for all who post here. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
stephendaniel
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROAC - Catechumen

Prayer Request for a Friend

Post by stephendaniel »

Good afternoon,

I have a friend who has fallen into very hard times. I asked him if it would be okay if I requested a prayer for him from the Church and to share some details about what's going on. He agreed.

His name is Sam. He began to believe the truth about Orthodoxy shortly after I did and he has been struggling ever since. His family is devoutly Protestant and he constantly has to struggle just to maintain his faith in the face of it. His girlfriend is pregnant with his child and she is refusing to follow him in the Orthodox faith. She was left a bad taste in her mouth after a falling out with Gregory of Colorado. So she wants nothing to do with Orthodoxy and will not heed Sam's words. I believe they may be separating now and it's tearing him up.

Sam has fallen into extremely hard drugs. And knowing him, he is too ashamed and depressed to pray or ask for help. In spite of all of this, there is still a part of him trying to hold on to Orthodoxy. To the Truth. He is still open to it but he needs help. He needs prayer and he needs God.

Please pray for Sam and for his loved ones, especially his unborn baby. Thank you so much.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Prayer Request for a Friend

Post by Maria »

Lord have mercy.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

I will keep him in my prayers. You say that he can't pray, but let him know that he can pray to the Theotokos who helps many in desperate situations. But, also, let him know that Christ sees all the evils in us, but He also sees our pain in struggling through them. Without that hope, in God, a person will end up lost. Hopelessness is the destruction of our souls because if we don't feel hope then it's like saying we don't believe that Christ, Who created us, can help us and that will be a victory for the evil one.

You are a good friend, Stephen, for supporting Sam. Most of all, let him know that he needs to be 100% sure that he believes in Orthodoxy and when he makes that decision to convert, it will bring a whole new life of blessedness for his life, even if his family and girlfriend don't accept it. When I converted, my parents were so opposed. I thought we would be torn apart, but because I followed my faith, I overcame that distressful situation. After awhile, they got used to it. When we do what is right, in God's eyes, He will not abandon us. But, if we turn away from God, then we are facing the consequence of our conscience; our conscience condemns us, not God. It is a living hell. But, Christ is always waiting for the prodigal soul.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

stephendaniel
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROAC - Catechumen

Post by stephendaniel »

Sam was hospitalized last week. He almost passed away. He is safe now, has been clean for awhile and is now in the process of making changes to prevent this from happening again. Thank you all for your prayers. Glory be to God.