Matins for Saint Catherine

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Matins for Saint Catherine

Post by Jean-Serge »

Hello,

I would like to know if there is a reading of the gospel for the Matins of Saint Catherine of Sinai according to the Grrek tradition and according to the Russian one. If so, which is the extract that is to be read?

Thanks

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Ephrem
Jurisdiction: FROC/ROAC

Re: Matins for Saint Catherine

Post by Ephrem »

I couldn't find a specific reading for her service, but in the general menaion for the Slavic tradition, this would be read at the Matins for a female martyr:

The Holy Gospel according to St. Mark [MK. 5, 24-34]

At that time Jesus went forth: and much people followed him, and thronged him. And a certain woman, which had an issue of blood twelve years, And had suffered many things of many physicians, and had spent all that she had, and was nothing bettered, but rather grew worse, When she had heard of Jesus, came in the press behind, and touched his garment. For she said, If I may touch but his clothes, I shall be whole. And straightway the fountain of her blood was dried up; and she felt in her body that she was healed of that plague. And Jesus, immediately knowing in himself that virtue had gone out of him, turned him about in the press, and said, Who touched my clothes? And his disciples said unto him, Thou seest the multitude thronging thee, and sayest thou, Who touched me? And he looked round about to see her that had done this thing. But the woman fearing and trembling, knowing what was done in her, came and fell down before him, and told him all the truth. And he said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace, and be whole of thy plague.

Also, keep in mind that the Slavic Churches commemorate her on the 24th of November, whereas the Greek Churches commemorate her on the 25th.

I hope that helps!

Ephrem Cummings, Subdeacon
ROAC