Orthodox Archbishop Interviewed in PARADE Magazine!

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Orthodox Archbishop Interviewed in PARADE Magazine!

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Orthodox Archbishop Interviewed in PARADE Magazine yesterday!

See it at http://www.parade.com/current/coverstory/index.html

user_142

Archbishop Anastasios

Post by user_142 »

Very nice article. More pictures are in the online version than appeared in the magazine.

Michael

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

I was arguing with myself yesterday over whether it's good to be published in this type of publication. On the one hand, you're crammed in between gossip questions about movie stars and articles about how great yoga is for the health of the body and mind. On the other hand, it exposes Orthodoxy to millions of people who may have never even heard of Orthodoxy. I guess the question is, will it reach enough unsaved people to make up for the scandal it might cause those already in the Church? Certainly it wouldn't cause a big a scandal as an interview in Playboy would cause, but the mag is certainly superficial in the extreme. ...I think it's ok to "afflict the comfortable" (those in the Church) sometimes if it will "comfort the afflicted" (bring people into Orthodoxy)... there has to be a line somewhere, though. Not sure where that line is, personally.

bogoliubtsy
Sr Member

Post by bogoliubtsy »

I think this kind of exposure in a "popular culture" magazine can do a lot of good. With all of the scandal in the Catholic Church people are becoming more and more sceptical of Christianity, while all of the modern Christian stereotypes are being reinforced- Chrisianity is power hungry, Christianity is run by out of touch men, Christianity is corrupt, etc. Most people are either only exposed to this type of thing in the mass media or the hokey televangelists, or a combination of these two things. An article like this shows people(some for the first time) that another type of Christianity exists in the world- a self-sacrficing one, one that practices what it preaches, etc. I think it's potentially a very good thing.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Good point(s), Peter /\

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

I was arguing with myself yesterday

Mary, next time Justin is arguing with himself, make sure nobody gets hurt please. That's all we need is for him to break out into fight.

Yes, Peter, good points.

Anastasios
Sr Member
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC-Archbishop Kallinikos

Post by Anastasios »

I've met Arch. Anastasios and heard him speak (at St. Vlad's) and also took a missions class with one of his priests Fr. Luke Veronis and let me tell you, they are spreading Orthodoxy like wildfire there. A lot of their seminarians are from traditionally-Muslim familes who converted, too!

anastasios

Disclaimer: Many older posts were made before my baptism and thus may not reflect an Orthodox point of view.
Please do not message me with questions about the forum or moderation requests. Jonathan Gress (jgress) will be able to assist you.
Please note that I do not subscribe to "Old Calendar Ecumenism" and believe that only the Synod of Archbishop Kallinikos is the canonical GOC of Greece. I do believe, however, that we can break down barriers and misunderstandings through prayer and discussion on forums such as this one.