Santiago hit badly by - 8.8 ! - Quake

Information, news stories, and questions about True Traditionalist Orthodox Churches. This is the place to post encyclicals and any official public communications from True Orthodox jurisdictions.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Catherine5

Santiago hit badly by - 8.8 ! - Quake

Post by Catherine5 »

Let's pray for Abbess Juliana, the Father there, and all at the Convent.
I am hoping to get some news, but maybe telephone is the only way right now.
First I thought Santiago was not so much hit, as the epicenter was at Concepcion, 320 kilometers away. Could there be a message from Heaven there -

Catherine5

Re: Santiago hit badly by - 8.8 ! - Quake

Post by Catherine5 »

I was hoping to have some info but no.
Many phone lines down in Santiago; the West Coast Consulate offered help in searching for people, but it turned out to be for American citizens.
Mother Juliana I'm sure is a Chilean citizen.
They asked her last name - does anyone have any idea what it is?
Planning to try tomorrow again.
No reply to email sent the very first morning, not surprisingly, as those lines would have been impaired as well.
Well maybe good will come out of this if extra help can be extended to the Orphanage/Convent as a result of outpouring of sympathy - which may not have been triggered up to now, despite the true worthiness of Abbess Juliana's cause there.

Kybihetz21

Post by Kybihetz21 »

Catherine:

You know that people here do not care, but since you asked in a public forum …

Her name is Juliana Hazbun (that’s the way she spells it, although since it is an Arab name it could be “Hazboun”, “Hasboon”, and so on). The priest, who lives in Santiago (she lives outside of the capital), is Archimandrite Benjamin (Venamin) Vosniuk. I hope they are both ok, nobody has been able to tell me anything about them.

Martha
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC-Archbishop Chrysostomos II

Post by Martha »

I am sure that I am only one of many who care about Mother Juliana and those with her. I keep checking in to see if there is new information. There are those in my parish who are also concerned and would welcome news.
Catherine, please keep trying. Thank you.

Catherine5

Post by Catherine5 »

Yes, I am! No news. I am still nervously wringing my hands. I'm glad to know that you and your parish are anxious, too. Thank you, Martha!
Have you known Abbess Juliana in the past? Please consider to relate any special memories you may have of her if you feel like it. Of course, it will be easier to talk about after we have ascertained she is fine. I assume she is -- but we'd rather know for sure!

It seems to me that this event is heralding the looming necessity for all True Orthodox to develop better rapport and communications. We are all united here in concern about this valiant nun who has the most vivid record -- out of all in Old ROCOR who remain -- of feisty confrontation with the MP.
Mother Juliana could truly be honored with the title of doyenne of True Orthodox resisters!

Don't you all think we have to do better to overlook the many differences that do deeply separate the groups and major "blocs". One example is the split between cyprianite and anti-cyprianite aligned Churches. Somehow the chasms must be pared down to permit a leap across to the other side[s].

The inter-True Orthodox jurisdictional worry about the safety of Abbess Juliana, who it's good to recall, was selected personally by Met. Vitaly to head the important ROCOR convent in the Holy Land, has highlighted the need to have a working ability already set up to at least loosely cooperate. Whether in emergencies like this, or on a multitude of problems facing many of the True Orthodox under MP and other pressure.

By the way, the concern for Abbess Juliana does not extend to the head of ROCOR-MP. In a press release, Met Hilarion left a yawning gap where he could easily have made mention of the monastics there or the orphanage. Perhaps he's too aware of Big Brother's long arm and glaring scrutiny of his every word. AND/OR the current first hierarch and a large number of post-union ROCOR-ites wrote off the longstanding Chilean convent & orphanage as not deserving of a drop of their kindliness or munificence due to the St John of Kronstadt community's rejection of the ROCOR under a dangerous new management and ownership....

As a sidenote, has anyone seen that now there is a prediction of a major quake of similar type off the shore of the U.S. Northwest?
We have Cyprian, Reader Daniel and Joanna among other true Orthodox posters on this and various sites who live in Washington State and Oregon; hope they think about a move to safer ground if God wills...!

Martha
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC-Archbishop Chrysostomos II

Post by Martha »

Catherine,

I seldom reply to posts on this site and I really don't like to discuss the differences between the various jurisdictions, as it tends to incite the passions.But your comment about improving communications between the various True Orthodox jurisdictions certainly is worth merit.

There are some in my parish who have known Mother Juliana for many years.....I, however, am a newer convert and only "know of" her and her work and challenges that she and others face in Chile. Our parish periodically receive and forwards alms to her through one of our members.

You might be interested to know that there is a True Orthodox Mission in Haiti also, that was affected by the earthquake. Updates on that situation can be obtained through www.haitianorthodoxmission.org You can sign up for an email newsletter of updates, if you desire.

If anyone on this list knows of other sites that reflect a good flow of information about about True Orthodox churches and missions, I would be happy to learn of them. Thank you.

In Christ,
Martha