When did the Catholics change the sign of the Cross?

Discuss Religious, Moral and Ethical topics that are offtopic to other forums and that are within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste, i.e., no pictures or videos of killings. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All rules apply. No promotion of Non-Orthodox-Christian beliefs. No baiting, flaming, or ad hominems. No polemics.
joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

When did the Catholics change the sign of the Cross?

Post by joasia »

I'm looking for facts about the history of the Catholics and their decision to switch from right to left. I read is was around the 15th or 16th century. When I talk with Catholics, I want to show them that their Cross will not protect them because it is perverse: basically an abomination of the Holy Cross. I haven't found anything much on the internet.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Kosmas
Jr Member

Catholics changed the sign of the Cross in 1569

Post by Kosmas »

Dear Joasia,

The crossing oneself in reverse from Left to Right and open handed began in 1569AD.

This innovation was purposely done in the attempt to buffoon the Holy Trinity, the Holy Cross, and the promise of the Lord's Second Coming.

ΚΑΤΑ ΜΑΤΘΑΙΟΝ 24:27
27ωσπερ γαρ η αστραπη εξερχεται απο ανατολων και φαινεται εως δυσμων ουτως εσται και η παρουσια του υιου του ανθρωπου

Matthew 24:27
For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be.

Even more dastardly applies to what papists deem as the holiest place on Earth. The basilica of St. Peter faces in the wrong direction-WEST. The symbolic direction of death and the power of Satan.
http://www.maplandia.com/holy-see-vatican-city/

A church is oriented toward the East, according to the Apostolic Canon: "The house of the Lord should be oriented towards the sunrise, with annexes on both sides corresponding to the nave" (1, II, 57). The church is entered from the West and the faithful, standing in prayer, face the East the altar, the symbol of heaven, spiritual light and Christ "the Sun of Righteousness" who shall appear as lightning form the East at His second coming (Matthew 24:27).

joasia
Protoposter

Re: When did the Catholics change the sign of the Cross?

Post by joasia »

Kosma,

Thank you. That is very insightful and exactly what I was looking for. I know that the way the Orthodox Church is organized is not haphazard. Everything about Orthodox tradition is based on true theology; it is right and pure. It is a living faith of worship to the Holy Trinity which is our true God; our Creator. I want to be able to help papists come to that realization. We can find everything to support the way of Orthodoxy, in the Holy Bible. Is there a book(s) or website(s) that will point out why the Orthodox Church and lifestyle is the way it is, based on passages from the Holy Bible? Or is it something that people learn, here and there and we just have to build up our knowledge?

I didn't know this passage was the guideline for how we cross ourselves. I just read it as the description of the end times. Now I see that everything in the Holy Bible is taken down to the iota in how the Holy Spirit instructed the holy fathers.

My goal is to point out the errors of the papists against true theology.

Kosmas
Jr Member

Carry your cross one day at a time

Post by Kosmas »

Joasia,

I am so happy that you are searching out the truths of Orthodoxia. By living the Orthodox Faith day by day, the bearing of spiritual fruits will manifest accordingly. As you have understood, the building up of spiritual knowledge takes time. Keep praying, reading Scripture, and the Lives of Saints, with your spiritual father's guidance.

Websites to learn more about Orthodoxy and Fathers/Canons:
http://orthodoxinfo.com/
http://www.ccel.org/ (*not orthodox, use with caution)

About "helping" heterodox/papists.
Please be careful what you converse with any heterodox. This command from our Lord Jesus Christ:

Matthew 7:6
Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces.

And more important than correcting others:
Philippians 2:12
... work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;

Keep the Faith Joasia,

Kosma.

joasia
Protoposter

Re: When did the Catholics change the sign of the Cross?

Post by joasia »

Kosma,

My main reference is orthodoxinfo.com, but I also spread out my searches to other sites and asking people. As for sharing pearls with swine, I think discussing why Orthodox and papists are different, helps them see the tradition that they abandoned. I wouldn't discuss the Holy Mysteries with a non-Orthodox. Although many Orthodox, by name, aren't ready for the knowledge either. That is knowledge beyond their understanding and would do more spiritual harm. Of course, I take into consideration, the person's disposition. For example, a papist may want more spiritual info and not want to hear about the ecclestiastical aspect, yet. And I can always point out something spiritual which will reveal the Orthodox truth, like this example of crossing ourselves. But, I leave it to God, to reveal what the person needs to hear by letting the person ask the question first. You can't know what would turn them around. For me, it was learning about the Great Schism. When I learnt about that, Orthodoxy became crystal clear.

In this case, I wasn't asked yet, but the question came to mind and I figured I should do my homework and have the answer, in case the question comes up.

I guess I'm looking for why do you do this or why do you have that, type of answers. Don't get me wrong, I'm not honing myself to proselytize. This is for my spiritual insight too.

In Christ, Joanna