New and Old Calendar conflicts

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

New and Old Calendar conflicts

Post by joasia »

Christ is Born! Glorify Him!

I heard that a priest who had left the OCA and went to ROCOR-H, had reposed. Memory Eternal. I don't remember the name. He reposed last Saturday. Although the all night vigils were held in the ROCOR church, the passed few days, the funeral service was held in the OCA church, today, at 12 pm. But, if it's the Nativity of our Lord today, should his funeral have been performed even if it was in the OCA church? This stumps me and I don't presume to know anything about this area. I was just wondering that since the OCA is with the new calendar(therefore they celebrated the Nativity), which this parish certainly is, that the calendar difference might be used as a loophole. If this priest was alive, he would be celebrating the Nativity, so should he have been buried on the Nativity? Are funerals allowed on the Nativity?

And a supplement question...what days are funerals, weddings, baptism not permitted?

In Christ,
Joanna

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Re: New and Old Calendar conflicts

Post by Jean-Serge »

In the Greek practice, weddings are forbidden on fast days (Wednesday and Friday), on Saturday (eve of Sunday) and fast periods. I think that baptisms and funerals can take place at any moment. But pannykhydas are forbidden on Sunday.