Was Mary Sinless

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Incognito1583

Was Mary Sinless

Post by Incognito1583 »

Someone recently notified me that Orthodoxy believes the Theotokos was sinless. I've never heard this before. If this is true, how does Orthodoxy explain Romans 3:23?

"All have sinned and come short of the glory of God." [Rom.3:23].

Incognito1583

Post by Incognito1583 »

I can't believe no one knows the answer to this question.

GOCPriestMark
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC-Metropolitan Kirykos

Post by GOCPriestMark »

Incognito1583 wrote:

I can't believe no one knows the answer to this question.

Do you know the answer?
If so, then why try to bait folks with the question?
If not, then what authority will you accept to support the answer?

You've asked a number of serious questions here, and of their own good will folks have tried to answer as best as they can, but when they do, it seems to me, that you just argue with them, as if you knew the answer already and were just looking for a fight.

So, are you here to get answers and help along your orthodox path? Are you just lonely and looking for some attention? So far it looks to me that you have some deep problems, most likely coming from those who have taught you. The brand of 'orthodoxy' you espouse seems to be chasing you away from Orthodoxy - if you were well grounded, red flags would go up for you, but instead you keep spouting the same mis-guided 'stuff' and then, in the next breath, renoucing it all again.

==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==
Having said that, I believe the Theotokos and mother of our God, is indeed sinless, not by nature, but by her choices in life, (her will). Otherwise, would our Lord Jesus Christ have deigned to become Incarnate within her?

If you believe otherwise, then, of what sin do you now accuse her?

==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==

Priest Mark Smith
British Columbia

Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Cyprian »

The Mother of God was conceived from seed in a natural manner; hence she was in no way exempt from participation in original or ancestral sin.

Incognito1583

Post by Incognito1583 »

GOCPriestMark wrote:

Do you know the answer?

No.

GOCPriestMark wrote:

You've asked a number of serious questions here, and of their own good will folks have tried to answer as best as they can,

I must have missed that. All I've seen is condemning, judging, and possibly lying.

GOCPriestMark wrote:

Having said that, I believe the Theotokos and mother of our God, is indeed sinless, not by nature, but by her choices in life, (her will). Otherwise, would our Lord Jesus Christ have deigned to become Incarnate within her?

Thank you, but I asked what the postion of the Orthodox Church was. Or do they even have a position? And how do you account for Romans 3:23? "ALL have sinned."

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

The teachings of the Orthodox Church is that The Theotokos was made sinless. But, I won't give you details. There are plenty of websites with indepth articles and also books that you can buy.

You do your own homework.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)