Icons of the theotokos without head covering

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Liudmilla
Sr Member

Post by Liudmilla »

Liudmilla
Sr Member

Post by Liudmilla »

Theophan wrote:
[img]The%20Orthodox%20Church%20in%20Russia%20began%20to%20be%20corrupted%20by%20foreign%20influences%20in%20the%2018%20th%20century,%20a%20century%20which%20also%20saw%20the%20almost%20complete%20destruction%20of%20the%20truelly%20ascetic%20life%20in%20Russia%20which%20is%20the%20basis%20of%20Iconography.%20Therefore%20that%20someone%20would%20be%20doubtful%20as%20to%20whether%20these%20type%20of%20Icons%20express%20the%20mind%20of%20the%20Church%20is%20surely%20understandable.[/img]

And yet they adorned the walls of countless churches, even in the Holy Land and perhaps have even been miraculous in their time.

Milla

GOCTheophan

Post by GOCTheophan »

Liudmilla wrote:

And yet they adorned the walls of countless churches, even in the Holy Land and perhaps have even been miraculous in their time.

Milla

And some even adorn my Icon corner!

What you say is true and I believe there are indeed examples of some of the Icons we are talking about being miraculous.However those fanatically opposed to western style Icons DO have valid arguments againist them and they are not as reflective of the Mind of the Church as Traditional say Byzantine or Georgian ones. That does not mean they should not be venerated in my opinion (and indeed Orthodox Saints have venerated them!) BUT that they are not the best source to argue a THEOLOGICAL point. That's all.

Theophan.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Katia,

Perhaps you need to study 18th century iconography in the Orthodox church.

As I said, Western influence. Not a good example of traditional Orthdox iconography.

personally I try to avoid that, it helps keep me humble.

Since when?

Anyway, it's Passion week. You've made your statements and I've made mine. It's only conversation. No hard feelings, okay?

I do admit that I am not knowledgable in many things. I learn from my mistakes. And I was wrong to give you those little jabs.

From what I've been taught about icon writing, the Western version reflects a more worldly image. Just like the Western version of pews in the New Calendar Churches. It may not seem like a big deal, but there is a theological significance behind it.

Kalo Pascha

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Milla,

Perhaps? This is your opinion? But, do you have any firm proof?

Kalo Pascha

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Liudmilla
Sr Member

Post by Liudmilla »

Joasia:

I think I've told you once before...your scarf is on too tight, loosen it and you might feel less likely to make those jabbing comments.

Milla

ANGELA

Post by ANGELA »

KALI ANASTASI

Last edited by ANGELA on Thu 24 April 2008 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.