Blessed Father Seraphim (Rose)

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Pravoslavnik
Sr Member
Jurisdiction: ROCOR- A

Blessed Father Seraphim (Rose)

Post by Pravoslavnik »

I have heard that the repose of Blessed Father Seraphim (Rose) of Platina occurred on September 2 or 3rd, (?) 1982. Does anyone know if a liturgical service has been written for Father Seraphim, and where these prayers can be found? Also, does anyone know if someone has written an icon of Father Seraphim that I can purchase? I would appreciate information on this subject. Many thanks.

In Christ,

Pravoslavnik

Sean
Faith: Old Calendar Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HOTCA

Re: Blessed Father Seraphim (Rose)

Post by Sean »

Pravoslavnik wrote:

I have heard that the repose of Blessed Father Seraphim (Rose) of Platina occurred on September 2 or 3rd, (?) 1982. Does anyone know if a liturgical service has been written for Father Seraphim, and where these prayers can be found? Also, does anyone know if someone has written an icon of Father Seraphim that I can purchase? I would appreciate information on this subject. Many thanks.

In Christ,

Pravoslavnik

http://users.sisqtel.net/williams/akath ... aphim.html

Some people prefer cupcakes. I, for one, care less for them...

Euthymios

Post by Euthymios »

I don't think someone should be canonized/glorified unless they have atleast three medically verifiable miracles of healing. I think this is the Roman Catholic standard.

People don't make saints; God makes saints.

No matter how much people love and praise Father Seraphim, it won't make him a saint.

I believe he was a good monk, but I personally would not call him a saint. I have prayed to him many times over the years, sometimes during my most intense struggles. He never did anything for me.

I believe he was one of the first major American-born writers on Orthodoxy. He stood out. But I think there are many such writers today. I don't think he should be singled out anymore.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Euthymios wrote:

I have prayed to him many times over the years, sometimes during my most intense struggles. He never did anything for me.

Perhaps your prayers were unworthy of God. It's the intensions of the heart that are measured. And yet again, you are measuring by YOUR standards.

Don't judge others and God will not judge you.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Euthymios

Post by Euthymios »

That would support my initial complaint. It is impossible to please or satisfy God. I was very, very sincere in my prayers to Father Seraphim. I did once have a dream, however, where after praying to him one night, I saw him in a dream where he was thinking over my case. He was in deep thought and contemplation.

ANGELA

Post by ANGELA »

God has made saints, even ones we think are not, God has made them saints.

Evfimy

Post by Evfimy »

People don't make saints. They recognize saints. God makes people saints through the corroperation of the person.