Four-legged birds, insects, and Leviticus

Reading from the Old Testament, Holy Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation, our priests' and bishops' sermons, and commentary by the Church Fathers. All Forum Rules apply.
ChristosVoskrese
Jr Member

Four-legged birds, insects, and Leviticus

Post by ChristosVoskrese »

"All fowls that creep, going upon all four, shall be an abomination unto you.....but all other flying creeping things which have four feet, shall be an abomination unto you." Leviticus 11:20,23

There are no four legged birds (except mutations) and as far as I know, there aren't any four legged insects. Why would God have a prohibition against something that doesn't exist?

Reading this has shaken my faith in the Holy Scriptures.

Helen

Post by Helen »

Perhaps there is a plausible explanation. How do you know that these four-legged fowl or insects didn't exist at the time? Or that the Bible you are reading has the correct translation? Why does it shake your faith if you can't understand or rationalise certain (small) aspects of your faith? Do you really think that you will be able to understand everything about your faith? If you rely TOO much (the keyword being - too) on using your understanding on matters regarding your faith you will get nowhere fast or what's even worse, could find yourself taking more than a few steps back. Only accepting (again the key word is only) what you can rationalise with your mind is prideful, as in essence you are assuming that your intellect is more discerning than others (eg., saints who spent their whole lifetime acquiring the Holy Spirit, through Whom their intellects were illumined to be able to understand and interpret the Mysteries of God and pass these interpretations right down to our generation). Are you more discerning?

Aside from researching more into your questions, you should ask God to enlighten your understanding and give you faith and discernment. Who better to ask for help in matters of faith?

Pravoslavnik
Sr Member
Jurisdiction: ROCOR- A

"I Do Not Know"

Post by Pravoslavnik »

Dear C.v.,

Code: Select all

The above post by Helen is excellent, and exhibits much wisdom.  I would add that the French philospher and mathematician Blaise Pascal theorized that God's revelations are presented to mankind in such a fashion that salvation and the true knowledge of God are not based primarily upon the intellect or powers of reason, but upon the quality of the "heart."  If that were not the case, the most intelligent people would be saved, and would more likely acquire true knowledge of God.  Instead, we may eventually discover that the "wise will appear foolish, and the foolish, wise."  There are scriptures which are truly puzzling, and even appear absurd, like the above reference to "four-footed fowls."  I recall a story from the Desert Fathers in which one of the Holy Fathers asked some monks to interpret a puzzling scripture.  Each of the monks offered an interpretation, and the last one said, "Abba, I do not know."  The Holy Father then said, "You have answered wisely, for you said, 'I do not know."  I wonder how the saints would interpret the reference to "four-footed fowls" in the Torah.  Could it, possibly refer to the noetic perception of demons?