Which Bible translation should I use?

Reading from the Old Testament, Holy Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation, our priests' and bishops' sermons, and commentary by the Church Fathers. All Forum Rules apply.
ChristosVoskrese
Jr Member

Which Bible translation should I use?

Post by ChristosVoskrese »

I have requested a free Orthodox Study Bible from the site which sends one to you, but until then, I'm wondering, what is the best Bible translation for me to use from the ones I've got.

I have:

King James Version
Douay-Rheims (x3, one with NT and Psalms in Westminster Translation, one with NT and Psalms in Confraternity version)
Ronald Knox Translation
New Revised Standard Version (Catholic edition)

At the moment, I'm dithering between the KJV and the Douay. The Douay is Catholic, and they are closer to Orthodoxy than Protestants, but the KJV, in spite of being Protestant, is translated from the Greek (and Hebrew), whereas the Douay is translated from the Latin Vulgate, which is itself a translation of the Hebrew and Greek.

Climacus

Post by Climacus »

I'm afraid those are all poor choices in translations, except perhaps, for the King James Version. The NASB, by the way, is the most literally translated english Bible on the market. The fact that it was done by Protestants seems immaterial to me, insofar as they hold to Orthodox theology and christology and are seeking to be faithful translators and not paraphrasers of the original Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic texts.

That being said, reading any of those Bibles is certainly better than reading none at all! Why, just the other day I met an Orthodox woman who had been attending liturgy for well over 50 years and she had never heard of the story of Joseph and seemed almost completely Biblically illiterate. How anyone could be a Christian for over 50 years and not know the Bible is beyond me...

Plus, so long as the Orthodox Study Bible only contains a small portion of God's Word (ie: the N.T.), you'll still need to consult those other translations anyway.

Cheers,
Climacus