Nativity Epistle of the First Hierarch

Information, news stories, and questions about True Traditionalist Orthodox Churches. This is the place to post encyclicals and any official public communications from True Orthodox jurisdictions.

Moderator: Mark Templet

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Nativity Epistle of the First Hierarch

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

The Nativity Epistle of the First Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia

"Christ is on earth, be ye exalted!"

Since ancient times, the feast of the Nativity of Christ has been called the Feast of Lights, for on this day, as the Holy Church sings: "Thy coming, O Christ God, hath shone forth unto us; O Light of Light, Effulgence of the Father (stichira for "Lord I have cried," tone 2). By His coming into the world, the Lord "hast illumined all creation."

The Son of God, having appeared on earth and having united Divinity and mankind within Himself, not only changed world history, but also the destiny of each of us. In regards to historical significance, what can even be compared to the Incarnation of the long-awaited Redeemer from the Most-pure Virgin, whereby the human race has been freed from the power of the devil, sin and death?

The Lord descended to earth in order to raise us up to heaven, so that we might inseparably abide with Him in the light of everlasting glory. The Son of God came in order to make us sons of His Father as He asked in the prayer: "That they may be one, even as We are one: I in them, and Thou in Me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that Thou hast sent Me, and hast loved them, as Thou hast loved Me" (John 17:22-23). The Lord sent His Son to earth in order to show the world the love of the Creator for His creation, and so that this redemptive love would become our own. "And I have declared unto them Thy name and will declare it; that the love wherewith Thou hast loved Me may be in them, and I in them" (John 17:26).

On this day in a poor cave, our Lord Jesus Christ was born in the world from the Most-Pure Virgin, the God-chosen Maiden, and the world was transformed. To us who were sitting in darkness and the shadow of death, came the Light, enlightening and sanctifying; the Source of immortality appeared; He who presented to us the gift of His own Self, desiring that we become flesh of His flesh, and blood of His blood--a gift great and incomprehesible to the mind. To our misfortune, not many of us are able to receive this Divine gift, just as our Lord Jesus Christ Himself said in His prayer to God the Father: "'O righteous Father, the world hath not known Thee: but I have known Thee, and these have known that Thou hast sent Me" (John 17:25). The acceptance of Divine love can only happen by the rejection of love for this world, which lies in evil. "In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world" (John 16:33). And this victory is made up of our faith.

Christ, the God-Child, was born on this day, brought peace to earth, a peace which this vain world cannot give us, a peace which He instils in our hearts by means of His Divine Grace. Let us not drive away this grace-filled peace by our sins, but let us become worthy to receive it. Beloved Archpastors, pastors, monastics, and children of the Russian Church Outside of Russia, I wholeheartedly greet all of you with the joyous feast of the Nativity of Christ!

+Metropolitan Laurus

Nativity of Christ, 2002