deacons giving Communion?

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
michigan
Jr Member

deacons giving Communion?

Post by michigan »

Dear all,

I've seen deacons giving Communion in several "world Orthodoxy" parishes. I've never seen it in a ROCOR church. Is there any rule that deacons aren't allowed to give Communion, or is it just not the usual practice? Also, the priests do some of the private prayers aloud in these churches, which I thought was also rather strange. Is that technically wrong, or is it just a matter of tradition?

GOCPriestMark
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC-Metropolitan Kirykos

Post by GOCPriestMark »

Yes, it looks like an innovation.

ROCOR deacons would only do this in an emergency when there is no priest available.

They are the priest's 'secret prayers', so, by nature, they are not said for others to hear.

==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==

Priest Mark Smith
British Columbia

michigan
Jr Member

Post by michigan »

Thank you, Father.

In the cases I observed, there were priests present. In one case, they just wanted an extra chalice because there were so many people going to communion. The other time, the priest just stayed in the altar for some reason.

frphoti
Jr Member
Jurisdiction: GOC Kallinikos

Deacons giving communion

Post by frphoti »

In place of the priest (when neccessary), deacons give communion. One of the roles of the deacon is to bring communion to the sick or ailing who could not make it to the Liturgy. Also, if I am not mistaken, in the ancient days, before communion was given in the chalice by spoon, the priest would give the body of Christ at one table, and the deacon would give the blood of Christ in the chalice at another.