Jesus whipping the money changers in the temple

Reading from the Old Testament, Holy Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation, our priests' and bishops' sermons, and commentary by the Church Fathers. All Forum Rules apply.
Olympiada
Jr Member

Jesus whipping the money changers in the temple

Post by Olympiada »

Dear Discussion Forum,
I am asking around in different forums for the answers to these questions. I read somewhere by somebody that Jesus had actually whipped the moneychangers in the temple. I don't recall reading this in the Scriptures. Does anyone know what version of the Scriptures this is written in and how explicit the original Greek was? I want to make an icon of this scene if one does not exist already so all the details you can supply will help.
In Christ
Olympiada

GOCPriestMark
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC-Metropolitan Kirykos

Post by GOCPriestMark »

In the Holy Gospel according to St. John, Chapter 2 [KJV]:

14 And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting:
15 And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;
16 And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise.

==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==

Priest Mark Smith
British Columbia

Olympiada
Jr Member

Scourge not whip

Post by Olympiada »

Right, that's why I couldn't find it. Thanks. I found out this giving of stripes goes all the way back to Deuteronomy. Interesting.