St Herman of alaska-Platina

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

spiridon

St Herman of alaska-Platina

Post by spiridon »

what happened to ST.Herman of alaska monastery in Platina ?\ why and when did they go to the Serbian Church...Ive always wondered this, were they kicked out of the Church abroad ? and does the church abroad still acknowledge them ,now that Fr.Herman is away (kinda away)...
has anybody visited them and what is it like ? in other words would one be safe to go visit?

Edward
Jr Member

Post by Edward »

Saint Herman of Alaska Monastery went into the Serbian Church in 2001, I think. From 1985 until that time, they had been under "Metropolitan" Pangratios of Vasiloupolis (which is Greek for Queens, as he is located in Queens, NY). Father Herman was suspended by Archbishop Anthony of San Francisco and then defrocked. The official reasons are for disobedience but there are darker rumours which I will not mention here and would be inappropriate to devulge on.

Father Herman has retired and spends his time now either at Saint Xenia Skete or in Moscow. Hieromonk Gerasim is now the Abbot and it has been during his abbacy that the monastery went into the Serbian Church.

Father Herman is not a clergyman of the Serbian Church and now is without a bishop. The Russian Church Abroad would accept back only as a simple monk and I believe that was also the policy of the Serbian Church.

I have heard now that Father Herman's health is not good, he is in a wheelchair and is partially blind and there are rumours that he is waiting to see this union between ROCOR and MP and then may try to reconcile with ROCOR. He cannot serve as a Priest now anyways.

I don't like gossiping about Father Herman, which why I have tried to make general statements. Despite his situation, I have deep respect for Father Herman. I had the great blessing to meet him in 1996. He is really a pioneer of authentic American Orthodoxy. He lives now in the shadow of Father Seraphim and we have to remember that they were co-strugglers.

Edward
geh8988@gmail.com

Myrrhbearer

Visiting platina

Post by Myrrhbearer »

I would say: GO VISIT. It is fine. The monks are wonderful. Best to go see for yourself. Just let them know ahead of time as sometimes the only space available is in a tent you would bring yourself...

joanna

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Edward wrote:

Despite his situation, I have deep respect for Father Herman. I had the great blessing to meet him in 1996. He is really a pioneer of authentic American Orthodoxy. He lives now in the shadow of Father Seraphim and we have to remember that they were co-strugglers.

Great "pioneer" of "authentic American Orthodox'??

..."lives now in the shadow of father Seraphim"???

Who are you trying to kid????

Herman, or whatever he is called now, is far from the reality of Fr. Seraphim. Fr. Seraphim had a great struggle, but also a great heart for the faith of Orthodoxy.

As for "co-strugglers". When Fr. Seraphim was on his deathbed, he told Herman that he didn't want anything to do with him(I'm paraphrasing).

That says alot. Perhaps, you are not aware of the events, at the time.

Let me reiterate...Fr. Seraphim should be clasified as the "pioneer" of the American Orthodox faith, not Herman.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

germanus

Platina

Post by germanus »

Brother Niphon - I am under the Serbian Church, (St. John the Baptist), in Reno, Nv. and our church is very closely related to the monastery you speak of. Although I have not gone to it yet, there are those in my parish who speak very fondly of the monks and visit quite frequently. I believe our church as a group will probably go this summer. We are only about a four or six hour trip away. In fact, before this little parish had a residing priest, a priestmonk would serve the liturgy. Our church was based on the Valaam Mission Bookstores. I say go visit. You might have a good time. As for those who would slander a brother in the faith, I myself being also guilty of this sometimes, please try not to get people invoved in something they know nothing about...for the sake of their salvation and your own. I had to learn this lesson the hard way